News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malta

Started by Darth Wagtaros, February 12, 2024, 08:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Most epic siege of all time, Malta or Constantinople?

Josephus

Historically Constantinople of course. For one thing the Ottos won that one, and it had quite the historical significance, not the least of which a good starting point for historical strategy games.

I read a good book last year on the siege of Malta though and it was really quite a blood fest. The Ottos almost had that won, but the valiant knights really held on against all odds, in that fort full of rotting bodies. (the Maltese people were also pretty valiant in that and were recruited in a final counter attack). Although not as well known, the Knights' victory was historically important, marking the last attempt for the Ottos to dominate the Mediterranean and allowed the Crusaders to continue harassing the Otto shipping lanes.

If the Ottos did win that, there's a good chance I'd be worshipping Mohammed today.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Incidentally that was a cool travel experience. Climbing on the walls of Constantinople. Really unguarded and open for all- I found a homeless guy living in a guard post. Great views from the top.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2024, 06:05:33 PMMost epic siege of all time, Malta or Constantinople?

Vienna 1683
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

So many epic Siege moments over the years. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Barrister on February 14, 2024, 04:12:40 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 14, 2024, 03:53:50 PMLoved Popeye as a kid though.

Not quite certain I want to pay to see the remains of the set though.

I saw Popeye at the theatre - so I must have been 5 or so.

At the end of the movie the villain (Bluto, right?) is swimming away.  He's wearing like a yellow rain coat or something.

5 year old me was "why did he suddenly change clothes?".  I think it was explained to me that it was because he had turned "yellow" - that is he was afraid.

5 year old me thought that was stupid.
I was actually scared at the end. I thought it was a baby skeleton. As I got older I realized it was supposed to be a pirate and his parrot.
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on February 15, 2024, 07:40:55 AMSo many epic Siege moments over the years. :)
Whatever happened to Siegebreaker?
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Yeah. I think an island siege is always more dramatic than land and Constantinople was just put out of its misery - relentless inevitability. I'm not sure the siege actually matters because it feels pretty certain there would have been another one, it would have fallen eventually. Malta is more of a high watermark.

Even the WW2 Siege of Malta has drama with planes, searchlights, subs, convoys etc across huge swathes of the Mediterranean - plus the siege ends and the convoys start to get through on the nativity of Mary which is, I believe, a huge feast day in Malta anyway.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

So it sounds like there's broad consensus that you should go to the Popeye Village.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2024, 09:51:21 AMYeah. I think an island siege is always more dramatic than land and Constantinople was just put out of its misery - relentless inevitability. I'm not sure the siege actually matters because it feels pretty certain there would have been another one, it would have fallen eventually. Malta is more of a high watermark.

Even the WW2 Siege of Malta has drama with planes, searchlights, subs, convoys etc across huge swathes of the Mediterranean - plus the siege ends and the convoys start to get through on the nativity of Mary which is, I believe, a huge feast day in Malta anyway.

Oh I thought we were talking about the Ottoman Siege of Malta.

And I would choose the Arab siege of Constantinople just because of the image of Greek Fire burning the Arab fleet in sight of the palace of Leo III.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2024, 02:25:57 PMAnd I would choose the Arab siege of Constantinople just because of the image of Greek Fire burning the Arab fleet in sight of the palace of Leo III.

Yeah, the 717 siege of Constantinople was both the most dramatic and most consequential siege I know of.  The 1452 siege was just the fall of the last tattered remnants of the Byzantine Empire.  The 717 siege allowed the city to last another 700 years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 15, 2024, 07:57:41 AMWhatever happened to Siegebreaker?

Count de Money tempbanned him and then noticed like four months later that he had forgotten to unban him.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on February 14, 2024, 11:36:29 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 14, 2024, 10:48:00 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 14, 2024, 10:17:34 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2024, 06:59:27 PMPopeye's Village :showoff:
One of the most WTF tourist attractions ever.

A good match for the movie that was shot there.  :P

They even shot an Ator / Iron Warrior movie as well, so the sets would not go to waste.  :lol:

WTF - that was such a bad movie.

It's not like how I can understand why the Hobbit village in New Zealand is a popular tourist destination.

Popeye or Ator / Iron Warrior?  :P Both, most likely.  :D

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on February 15, 2024, 07:40:55 AMSo many epic Siege moments over the years. :)
I've seen more movies about the Alamo than about Constantinople or Malta.  It must have been one epic battle. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.