News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scandinavian Thread

Started by Jacob, December 11, 2023, 02:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Threviel on December 12, 2023, 04:16:40 PMLaws have a purpose, spirit of the law in contrast to the letter of the law and all that.

The purpose of the law is to stop burnings of the Quran. The law is written with that in mind. It might not explicitly state it, but it is never the less the purpose of the law.

It is presumably yet to be tried in Danish courts of law and I assume that the wanker that usually goes around burning Qurans will see too it that it will be tried.

Indeed, he is forming a theatre troupe to do just that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Threviel on December 12, 2023, 04:32:53 PMIsn't CC some kind of lawyer? I mean, this is really really basic stuff, high school level stuff.

Yes, and it is distressing that many don't understand even that basic level of stuff.

Barrister

Quote from: Threviel on December 12, 2023, 07:01:05 AMFurthermore: Religion is a choice, sex and race is not a choice. They are not the same.

If you're religious, your religion isn't just "a choice".  You make it sound as if it deserves no more respect then what colour of socks you choose to wear.

No, choosing your religion is the most important choice you will ever make in your life, and the next one.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2023, 07:02:52 PM
Quote from: Threviel on December 12, 2023, 07:01:05 AMFurthermore: Religion is a choice, sex and race is not a choice. They are not the same.

If you're religious, your religion isn't just "a choice".  You make it sound as if it deserves no more respect then what colour of socks you choose to wear.

No, choosing your religion is the most important choice you will ever make in your life, and the next one.

Well, why not force people then to choose the right religion? Why condemn them to eternal hellfire?

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on December 12, 2023, 07:22:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2023, 07:02:52 PM

Well, why not force people then to choose the right religion? Why condemn them to eternal hellfire?

Because we've had several hundred years of wars over such topics.

It was decided that it was best to respect everyone's individual religious choices seemed to work best.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on December 12, 2023, 06:31:30 AMIronically thus proving the need for the law .

I suspect he's operating according to the same kind of trollish reasoning as the extremists in that he wants action to be taken against him in order to push moderates more towards his brand of fuck wittery.
Quite a complex 3D chess sort of situation.

Certainly making it illegal to be a troll will indeed make a lot more people start trolling. And instead of being seen as assholes they will, rightly, be seen as doing something principled.

Are you sure this logic is proving the need for the law? Seems to me it is proving why the law is a bad idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2023, 11:24:14 PMBecause we've had several hundred years of wars over such topics.

It was decided that it was best to respect everyone's individual religious choices seemed to work best.

Sure. But we also have freedom of speech that allows Jehovah's Witnesses to go to our homes and tell us our religion is under Satan's control and we should join their religion instead. I don't recall them being arrested for disrespecting all other forms of Christianity in this way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2023, 11:37:43 PM
Quote from: Josquius on December 12, 2023, 06:31:30 AMIronically thus proving the need for the law .

I suspect he's operating according to the same kind of trollish reasoning as the extremists in that he wants action to be taken against him in order to push moderates more towards his brand of fuck wittery.

Certainly making it illegal to be a troll will indeed make a lot more people start trolling. And instead of being seen as assholes they will, rightly, be seen as doing something principled.

Are you sure this logic is proving the need for the law? Seems to me it is proving why the law is a bad idea.

On the other hand qoran burnings prove the west hates Muslims and violent groups have the right idea in trying to murder people.

I certainly don't see a principle in trying to encourage Islamic extremism.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on December 13, 2023, 02:03:13 AMOn the other hand qoran burnings prove the west hates Muslims

This is ridiculous.

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on December 13, 2023, 02:03:13 AM

On the other hand qoran burnings prove the west hates Muslims and violent groups have the right idea in trying to murder people.

I am fairly certain there are far more people who openly oppose gay rights such as marriage and adoption. Does that mean the west hates gays?

Come on Josqs.

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on December 13, 2023, 02:03:13 AMOn the other hand qoran burnings prove the west hates Muslims and violent groups have the right idea in trying to murder people.

We can burn the Bible in the West. I guess we hate Christians.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2023, 02:42:57 AM
Quote from: Josquius on December 13, 2023, 02:03:13 AMOn the other hand qoran burnings prove the west hates Muslims

This is ridiculous.

Yeah, quite ridiculous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

Submitting to Islamic extremism is encouraging it, cause it works

Josquius

QuoteSubmitting to Islamic extremism is encouraging it, cause it works
Yet curiously the kind of behaviour the Islamic extremists want to encourage is knee-jerk Islamophobia. They're against any moves towards tolerance and mutual acceptance as they know this threatens their existence.
But by all means keep dancing to their tune and helping make their lives easier- its mutual help afterall, without being able to present Islam is a threat , recruitment for the white far right will suffer too.

Quote from: Tamas on December 13, 2023, 02:46:32 AM

I am fairly certain there are far more people who openly oppose gay rights such as marriage and adoption. Does that mean the west hates gays?

Come on Josqs.
Try looking at certain corners of twitter and yes. Any one off bad shit befalling gay people means our entire society is against them.
Thankfully 'Gay extremists' never really get particularly violent.

Amazing how several people are being (wilfully?) ignorant of this fundamental part of how Islamic extremists work. Again, Four Lions presents this nicely (drawn right from Al Quaida literature)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6GLoKkkCtY
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on December 13, 2023, 03:52:37 AMTry looking at certain corners of twitter and yes. Any one off bad shit befalling gay people means our entire society is against them.
Thankfully 'Gay extremists' never really get particularly violent.

Amazing how several people are being (wilfully?) ignorant of this fundamental part of how Islamic extremists work. Again, Four Lions presents this nicely (drawn right from Al Quaida literature)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6GLoKkkCtY

It would be so wonderful if you could learn to write that into your original post.

"When someone in the West burns a Koran, some Muslims perceive it as the West hates us."

This is an infinitely less ridiculous statement than what you first said.