Gaugamela (Alexander)
2 (8%)
Waterloo (Waterloo)
2 (8%)
Borodino (War & Peace)
6 (24%)
Aqaba (Lawrence of Arabia)
1 (4%)
Siege of Fort William Henry / Ambush (Last of the Mohicans)
4 (16%)
Indian ambush (The Revenant)
1 (4%)
Battle of the Crater (Cold Mountain)
1 (4%)
Helm's Deep (Two Towers)
5 (20%)
Siege of Jerusalem (Kingdom of Heaven)
0 (0%)
Stirling (Braveheart)
0 (0%)
3rd Servile War (Spartacus)
2 (8%)
Fort Wagner (Glory)
1 (4%)
Thermopylae (300)
1 (4%)
Agincourt (Henry V)
0 (0%)
Rorke's Drift (Zulu)
5 (20%)
Marcommanic Wars (Gladiator)
5 (20%)
Battle on the Ice (Alexander Nevsky)
0 (0%)
Gettysburg (Gettysburg)
3 (12%)
Other (Name it)
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 06, 2023, 11:01:33 AMI suppose by strange I mean I can't really see what the Soviets were hoping to get out of it :lol:

Prestige, I suppose? Also for some reason they went on a spree around that time of using the army to stage huge war films. There's the "Liberation" film series which chronicles the Soviet army drive from Kursk to Berlin that features hundreds of tanks and thousands of soldiers. The films are pretty mediocre themselves, mind.

Admiral Yi

My enjoyment of the siege in Mohicans was diminished by the fact that the didn't recreate a Vauban style fort with a sloped glacis and bastions, which is what it was. Is?  I'm guessing it's still standing.

Watching that scene I kept thinking those cannons should have blown that fort into toothpicks.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

While Theoden's speech and the pre-contact charge across the fields of Pelennor fields are both great and all, the Battle of Pelennor Field and the Battle of Helms' Deep scenees are both trash as far as I'm concerned. There's a complete lack of unit cohesion, it has the typical Hollywood everyone-fighting-one-on-one swirling melee, and it has combattants flung into the air willy-nilly. It's more like one of those trashy pay to win mobile zombie fighting games in terms of aesthetics than anything else.

So while I haven't watched enough of the others to say which is best, it's definitely not one of the LotR battles.

Tonitrus

Does the size/scale of the battle matter?  If not, and allowing light fantasy...then I gotta go with the Battle of the Mounds from Conan...after all, all that matters is two stood against many.  That's what's important.  :P

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2023, 04:05:26 PMMy enjoyment of the siege in Mohicans was diminished by the fact that the didn't recreate a Vauban style fort with a sloped glacis and bastions, which is what it was. Is?  I'm guessing it's still standing.

Watching that scene I kept thinking those cannons should have blown that fort into toothpicks.

The fort you see was specially constructed and historically accurate in style/appearance. Earth and wood forts were actually pretty resistant to the type of siege artillery that was easily transported and used in North America during the era.

https://www.mohicanpress.com/mo06029.html
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on December 06, 2023, 10:17:38 PMThe fort you see was specially constructed and historically accurate in style/appearance. Earth and wood forts were actually pretty resistant to the type of siege artillery that was easily transported and used in North America during the era.

https://www.mohicanpress.com/mo06029.html

If that's the set, that's the set.  Strange I don't recall any bastions or glacis.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on December 06, 2023, 01:56:30 AM
Quote from: Zanza on December 05, 2023, 11:48:44 PMIs Aqaba in Lawrence of Arabia not part of WWI?

Have only seen a few of these voted for Gladiator.

Ops, yeah totally don't know what I was thinking there  :lol:

Gotta say I don't think it's a great *war* scene. It's just a brief charge against a lightly defended position. Dramatically it works incredibly well after the ordeal crossing the Nefud, mind.
It is WWI, but it's not the typical western front trenches we think of when we hear the term.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on December 06, 2023, 05:14:37 PMWhile Theoden's speech and the pre-contact charge across the fields of Pelennor fields are both great and all, the Battle of Pelennor Field and the Battle of Helms' Deep scenees are both trash as far as I'm concerned. There's a complete lack of unit cohesion, it has the typical Hollywood everyone-fighting-one-on-one swirling melee, and it has combattants flung into the air willy-nilly. It's more like one of those trashy pay to win mobile zombie fighting games in terms of aesthetics than anything else.

So while I haven't watched enough of the others to say which is best, it's definitely not one of the LotR battles.

Are there movies with pre-gunpowder armies fighting that do have good unit cohesion?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 06, 2023, 09:12:35 PMDoes the size/scale of the battle matter?  If not, and allowing light fantasy...then I gotta go with the Battle of the Mounds from Conan...after all, all that matters is two stood against many.  That's what's important.  :P

That movie established my love for two-handed hammers as weapon of choice in fantasy games.

:blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Ah 80s fantasy.
So. Very. Shit.
Yet it was all we had.
Kids these days are spoiled for (also shit) choice.

To the poll....I know I've seen many of these films but can't remember the battles too well from most...Zulu is the one that definitely sticks out in my mind. I'd go with that. Its a proper battle, with the quiet points en al.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I just remembered the Battle of Balaclava as portrayed in "Charge of the Light Brigade" and it definitely should have made the shortlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4e8llcfQQ&t=359s&ab_channel=johnbenson

I feel like the British Empire peaked around 1900 in real life, and then around 1970 in movies.

PDH

I chose the charge in GLORY as that manages to show the worthlessness of it all, how a unit goes from a cohesive group to component parts, and the final outcome of futility.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

I saw The King on Netflix recently and I feel like it shows the chaos and misery of melee battle pretty well.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Savonarola

It's been a long time since I've seen The Four Feathers, but I remember really liking the Battle of Omdurman from the film.  Like everything else in the film it is beautifully shot in glorious extra-color.  (I mean the 1939 version, of course, I've read the British are defeated in the 2002 version  :lol: .)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock