News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Working From Home

Started by Jacob, December 01, 2023, 09:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I think it likely your anecdotal experience is shared by many here but Languish is not exactly a representative sample

garbon

Quote from: frunk on December 05, 2023, 10:10:54 AMAs long as the managerial/experienced members make sure to check in on and guide newer members of the team it hasn't been a problem for their development.

It's about establishing a working environment outside of the office environment rather than pining for what isn't there.  People can adapt if they want to rather than treating it like they are in an isolation booth.

I personally tried very hard in my last role with the juniors with repeatedly reminding them of my availability, virtually always being available when they reached out to ask questions, highlighting to them about how great it was when one of them reached out to me...and still I saw a lot of them not asking me questions and had stunted development vs what I'd previously seen with juniors when we'd been in the office.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Something I find relevant but rarely, if ever, mentioned is the policy of cameras.

Anecdotally, my work place, a camera less remote work environment (ironic considering what we sell), has trouble with ambience and communication. My SO's workplace is a mandatory camera remote work environment and their ambience & communication is miles better. There are of course other factors but I find it interesting how it's usually not mentioned.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on December 05, 2023, 10:10:54 AMAs I've said previously my experience is completely the opposite.  Personal productivity is up and I can control when I respond to people's requests.  It's been easier to get in touch with people through messages rather than interrupting them when they are doing something else.  As long as the managerial/experienced members make sure to check in on and guide newer members of the team it hasn't been a problem for their development.

It's about establishing a working environment outside of the office environment rather than pining for what isn't there.  People can adapt if they want to rather than treating it like they are in an isolation booth.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2023, 11:12:39 AM
Quote from: frunk on December 05, 2023, 10:10:54 AMAs long as the managerial/experienced members make sure to check in on and guide newer members of the team it hasn't been a problem for their development.

I personally tried very hard in my last role with the juniors with repeatedly reminding them of my availability, virtually always being available when they reached out to ask questions, highlighting to them about how great it was when one of them reached out to me...and still I saw a lot of them not asking me questions and had stunted development vs what I'd previously seen with juniors when we'd been in the office.

Same, and now if I miss a day in the office and WFH, nobody calls.  And the next day there is a steady stream of people coming to see me, and I always get the comment - "glad you are here, there is something I need to ask you".  I have long since given up telling people to just call me.

Tamas

I will give you one thing: I am more comfortable approacing somebody in person than calling them without checking with them on text chat if they are available.

Darth Wagtaros

There is something to be said for being able to go up and talk to someone directly.  There is also a lot to like about two fewer days a week spent driving into work.
PDH!

Tamas

Today at lunch break, I went down from my "office" to the kitchen to switch the washing from the washing machine to the tumble dryer, spent a few minutes with my son, ate lunch then went back to work. This was well worth having to catch up with colleagues via chat and phone. If my current job goes away, I will be willing to take a cut in money, prestige and career prospects if that'll be the price to stay in a WFH position, because the improvement on my mental health has been hard to overstate.

PJL

I certainly don't get the reticence of colleagues (especially from other departments) not contacting me about something they want to query with or ask about while I am WFH. I get plenty of emails and messages from them about it.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 05, 2023, 11:27:34 AMSomething I find relevant but rarely, if ever, mentioned is the policy of cameras.

Anecdotally, my work place, a camera less remote work environment (ironic considering what we sell), has trouble with ambience and communication. My SO's workplace is a mandatory camera remote work environment and their ambience & communication is miles better. There are of course other factors but I find it interesting how it's usually not mentioned.

No cameras here, though I occasionally use one on team calls. Totally optional otherwise.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on December 05, 2023, 03:27:19 PMToday at lunch break, I went down from my "office" to the kitchen to switch the washing from the washing machine to the tumble dryer, spent a few minutes with my son, ate lunch then went back to work. This was well worth having to catch up with colleagues via chat and phone. If my current job goes away, I will be willing to take a cut in money, prestige and career prospects if that'll be the price to stay in a WFH position, because the improvement on my mental health has been hard to overstate.

:yes: I'd probably be willing to give up ~25% of my current pay to stay fully remote. Not that I'm admitting that to anyone else.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on December 05, 2023, 11:25:15 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 05, 2023, 11:27:34 AMSomething I find relevant but rarely, if ever, mentioned is the policy of cameras.

No cameras here, though I occasionally use one on team calls. Totally optional otherwise.

I have to admit despite my opposition to it, the "camera must be on" policy was a good idea. Many/most of the technical people ignore it, though, but I am not pushing them on calls I chair.

Iormlund

Quote from: Josquius on December 05, 2023, 05:10:26 AMYeah...dense hellscape. Barcelona, Vienna, Amsterdam... No no no. What you need to be replicating is St Louis.

Can't speak for the others, but Barcelona is indeed pretty bad.

Yes, it's lively. It's also incredibly expensive. Most working folk live quite far away and might need up to an hour to get to the center to enjoy any of that leisure, in addition to the time they wasted commuting.

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on December 06, 2023, 02:34:04 PM
Quote from: Josquius on December 05, 2023, 05:10:26 AMYeah...dense hellscape. Barcelona, Vienna, Amsterdam... No no no. What you need to be replicating is St Louis.

Yes, it's lively. It's also incredibly expensive. Most working folk live quite far away and might need up to an hour to get to the center to enjoy any of that leisure, in addition to the time they wasted commuting.

It's curious that these dense and walkable places end up being very expensive.
Almost like... People want to live in such places? :contract:
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Josquius on December 06, 2023, 02:35:04 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 06, 2023, 02:34:04 PM

It's curious that these dense and walkable places end up being very expensive.
Almost like... People want to live in such places? :contract:

So your urban planning ideal is a city only well-off people can enjoy?