News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Working From Home

Started by Jacob, December 01, 2023, 09:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on December 14, 2023, 01:55:54 PMYeah totally the vibe I am getting, grossly unpopular to work from home. You made the right choice with your company.

Ok, then yes, although I am not sure why you added the emotive "grossly" to modify the word unpopular.  This seems to be very triggering for you.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 14, 2023, 02:04:32 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 14, 2023, 01:55:54 PMYeah totally the vibe I am getting, grossly unpopular to work from home. You made the right choice with your company.

Ok, then yes, although I am not sure why you added the emotive "grossly" to modify the word unpopular.  This seems to be very triggering for you.

I was being sarcastic.

Jacob

Tamas

garbon

https://www.hrgrapevine.com/us/content/article/2024-03-18-you-can-stay-remote-but-you-wont-get-promoted-dell-warns-employees

QuoteRTO U-turn | You can stay remote but you won't get promoted, Dell warns employees

Dell has informed its employees via a memo that career progression is only available to employees who meet its classification for hybrid or remote work.

The memo reads: "For remote team members, it is important to understand the trade-offs: Career advancement, including applying to new roles in the company, will require a team member to reclassify as hybrid onsite."

To qualify as a hybrid worker, Dell employees must work from an "approved" office for a minimum of 39 days per quarter, working out at around three days per week.

Excluding remote workers from promotion opportunities is a major U-turn from Dell's previous flexible working policy.

Having told staff about a three-day-per-week in-office mandate in February, a long-time remote worker stated to Business Insider that previously, "Dell cared about the work, not the location."

The memo confirms intel from an employee who confidentially spoke to the Register about punitive measures for remote workers. "Choosing to be remote does indeed put career advancement at a standstill," they said.

Another employee says that further to limiting career progress, remote workers will also receive no funding for team onsite meetings and their remote status will be considered when planning organizational or structural changes such as workforce reductions.

In February, Dell said in a statement that "we believe in-person connections paired with a flexible approach are critical to drive innovation and value differentiation."

Dell's new hybrid working model has not gone down well with its employees. "The entire company has been complaining about this behind closed doors," one employee told Business Insider.

It is a significant departure from the company's previous commitment to flexible working. CEO Michael Dell said in a 2021 interview with CRN that remote working is "absolutely here to stay."

He also provided a hypothetical scenario of two companies, one where workers are mandated to work in the office and another that offers flexibility to its workforce. "Which company do you think is a more attractive place to work? This is not really a hard test," he noted.

Dell's CEO also criticized in-office mandates in a LinkedIn post from September 2022. "If you are counting on forced hours spent in a traditional office to create collaboration and provide a feeling of belonging within your organization, you're doing it wrong," he wrote. "At Dell, we found no meaningful differences for team members working remotely or office-based even before the pandemic forced everyone home."

His post also reiterated Dell's commitment "to allow team members around the globe to choose the work style that best fits their lifestyle – whether that is remote or in an office or a blend of the two."

Dell employees: RTO policy is 'anti-women' and 'quiet firing'
Employees are unhappy with the new policy and its impact on their careers and lifestyle.

"We're being forced into a position where either we're going to be staying as the low man on the totem pole, first on the chopping block when it comes to workforce reduction, or we can be hybrid and go in multiple days a week, which really affects a lot of us," an employee tells Business Insider.

The new policy presents a difficult decision to employees who are unable or unwilling to travel to an office three days per week.

It also raises concerns for employees who are not located near one of Dell's "approved" list of offices, of which there are 17 in the U.S. and 26 globally.

"I now know I have no office. So I am remote, or I move if I want to stay," says one employee who has been working remotely for many years.

According to Business Insider, the employee was sent a promotion offer in February around the time the return-to-office (RTO) mandate was launched, stipulating that to receive the promotion, they would need to relocate much nearer to an approved site and travel to the office at least three times per week.

Employees are also critical of Dell's statement that in-office work will drive in-person connection. Many of Dell's teams are nationally or globally distributed. "Every team has people in at least two states, some in three or four. I can't think of one team where everyone is in one location," a worker explains.

Another says they would support the mandate if their team was based locally, but the distribution of employees means they would "be in a room with a bunch of people who don't know how to do my job or how to help me."

A further senior employee believes the new policy will negatively impact women in particular. "Every team I work with has at least one person if not two or three affected by this policy. They are overwhelmingly women. This new policy on its face appears to be anti-remote, but in practice will be anti-woman."

Plenty of Dell workers believe the move to limit progression and enforce in-office work is a form of quiet firing. "There are headcount cuts that need to happen and we are suffering," the senior worker explains. "If people leave on their own, they don't have to pay out severance."

Dell has not publicly responded to the criticism over its RTO and career progression policy.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

All those parents who thought they could now have a career while being able to be there for their kids are getting a rude awakening.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

And then parents realized that being there, every second of the day of their child's life might actually be harmful to their child's development.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2024, 08:28:46 AMAll those parents who thought they could now have a career while being able to be there for their kids are getting a rude awakening.

The real dumb ones bought a house 2 plus hours away from work :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

I am happy to sacrifice all chances of future promotion in exchange for permanent remote work.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

My company has seemingly fully dropped the idea of canceling WFH on Mondays (we're in office Tue-Thu). :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2024, 09:07:55 AMAnd then parents realized that being there, every second of the day of their child's life might actually be harmful to their child's development.

In my experience it's more about having the flexibility to pick the kids up from school and manage the occasional sick day and other curveballs, than about being there every second of every day.

The Brain

How are you there when you're working? Simply being present in the same building doesn't count as parenting.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2024, 08:28:46 AMAll those parents who thought they could now have a career while being able to be there for their kids are getting a rude awakening.
Quote from: Jacob on March 25, 2024, 09:58:23 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2024, 09:07:55 AMAnd then parents realized that being there, every second of the day of their child's life might actually be harmful to their child's development.

In my experience it's more about having the flexibility to pick the kids up from school and manage the occasional sick day and other curveballs, than about being there every second of every day.

Yeah hopefully not many parents thought they can take care of their children and work from home, that seemed impossible even before I have become a parent.

But nursery/school runs eventually, and for now just being able to go down a couple flight of stairs to be back with my kid is a huge thing for me.

If CC meant helicopter parenting, that predates whf by decades.

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on March 25, 2024, 09:49:49 AMI am happy to sacrifice all chances of future promotion in exchange for permanent remote work.  :lol:

Hells yeah.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on March 25, 2024, 10:15:33 AMHow are you there when you're working? Simply being present in the same building doesn't count as parenting.

In my observation, the advantages of working from home as a parent typically are:

• More flexibility around pick up and drop off for school and extracurricular activities.
  • Ability to keep sick kids at home without unduly impacting work or burning vacation days.
  • Ability to spot-help with a home going partner with diaper changes and whatever else during the infant stage.
  • Option to use short breaks or lunch to get chores done, making it easier to manage the household (this also applies to non-parents as well, obviously, but IMEX the ability to keep shit together is under more pressure as a parent).

It may not sound like much, but it makes a pretty big difference - especially for folks who don't have extended family to help them out and who can't afford nannies or otherwise just throw money at logistical problems.