Car Explosion on US-Canadian Border (Niagara)

Started by Jacob, November 22, 2023, 02:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

It was really expensive car. If it was relatively new it should have had collision prevention systems.

viper37

Quote from: Iormlund on November 25, 2023, 09:11:31 PMIt was really expensive car. If it was relatively new it should have had collision prevention systems.
I'm not an expert, but reports I've seen said it was a Bentley, and on Bentley Montreal's website, they say it has to be activated (likely on by default) and it seems to be a warning, not an autopilot.

So, it's like my (much, much) cheaper car, it tells the driver to break to avoid a collision.  If the driver was unconscious, or if there was a mechanical failure of some sort, there might not have been time to do anything.

It's a couple in the early 50s, local entrepreneurs.

Like I said, impossible to know until the investigation, and I don't know what they can recover of the car and the bodies after an explosion like that.  

Maybe they also have better camera images they have not shared with the public giving more information.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HisMajestyBOB

That car seems to be fucking flying, which suggests applied acceleration, either unintentional (driver unconscious with the accelerator floored or mechanical issue) or intentional (maybe he was just really impatient, like most the drivers I encounter).
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jacob

So we have speculation about what caused the acceleration. Are there any indications or theories about the cause of the explosion - it seems more violent than what you'd expect from a car just crashing into something.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 26, 2023, 12:30:31 PMSo we have speculation about what caused the acceleration. Are there any indications or theories about the cause of the explosion - it seems more violent than what you'd expect from a car just crashing into something.
Have you ever watched a movie?  Any movie?
;)

At such high speed, the gas tank would likely rupture, but I'm surprised it was so quick.  Again, not an expert.
Can a car truly explode

Depending on the point of impact, collision at high-speed can result in fire. A crash can cause fluid spills, leakage, and extreme heat. All of these have the potential to ignite the car.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

I dunno if the hybrid models (if this is one) would be more explosive/fiery due to the battery.  It wouldn't be as much fireworks as the larger EV batteries, but could potentially still make for a little bit.