Which Books Did You Hate in School but Enjoyed in Adulthood?

Started by Admiral Yi, October 23, 2023, 01:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

A Separate Peace.  No, wait, I still hate that one.  Also Frankenstein.  That book was terrible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2023, 02:28:25 PMYou clearly didn't have to read Tess of the d'Ubervilles.

That is correct. I did not.

The ones that I still remember are To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, Brave New World and a handful of Shakespeare.

Duque de Bragança

Some of Balzac's works such as Le Père Goriot are famous for that.

HisMajestyBOB

Also Shakespeare for me.

Conversely, I really like Great Expectations in high school, but the books seems to be widely hated in popular opinion. I'll have to reread it and see if I still like it.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2023, 02:28:25 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 23, 2023, 02:17:24 PMI don't think I was made to read any books in high school that I hated.

Maybe it's because I was sophisticated and could appreciate the canon, maybe I got a lucky draw, or maybe I'm just not that critical... I don't know. But I enjoyed it all :wub:

You clearly didn't have to read Tess of the d'Ubervilles.

You might get more out of Tess today, especially given your profession.  Woman who murders her boyfriend/rapist/baby-daddy in order to be with the husband who abandoned her by running off to South America sounds like something you'd encounter. ;) (Plus he briefly wanted to run off with her best friend and marries her sister after her execution, it's a real healthy relationship.)

I think high school is a little young to read Hardy's prose; it's pretty bleak and deals with aspects of human relationships that are usually outside a high school student's experience.  (Actually, if he wasn't a naturalist, some of them sounds like they could have been plots to an episode of Jerry Springer - man sells his wife for a bowl of oatmeal spiked with booze, for example.)  I've heard worse, though, I had a friend who had to read Faulkner's "The Sound and The Fury" for a competition when he was in high school.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

I do not remember any of the books I read in highschool. None left an impression on me 23 years later.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2023, 02:54:55 PMA Separate Peace.  No, wait, I still hate that one.  Also Frankenstein.  That book was terrible.
I hated A Separate Peace.

It symbolized everything that was wrong about these English classes. "You have to read this because its a classic!" but no context given about what the fuck was going on in them, or the language changes, or what have you.
PDH!

Maladict

We got to pick most of the books ourselves, which helps a lot. The ones forced on me that I didn't like I never read again.

celedhring

For me it's "Mirall Trencat" by Mercè Rodoreda. Found it dull as a brick as a kid, coumponed by the fact we had monthly assignments about the chapter, now I think it's possibly the best Catalan book I've ever read.

I also used to have a hard time with Spanish XXth century freeform poets (isn't poetry supposed to rhyme?), and I appreciate it more now - but I'd lie if I said I'm much of a poetry reader.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 23, 2023, 07:25:57 PMI hated A Separate Peace.

It symbolized everything that was wrong about these English classes. "You have to read this because its a classic!" but no context given about what the fuck was going on in them, or the language changes, or what have you.
I looked this up because I'd never heard of it. Found a review in a British paper in 2014 because apparently it had never previously been published here which seems mad for a multi-million selling American classic. The reviewer liked it and thought, for British audiences, it would be a "forgotten gem" :lol:

QuoteThe ones that I still remember are To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, Brave New World and a handful of Shakespeare.
Yeah I remember the sort of young teen novels - When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, Noughts and Crosses, Roll of Thunder etc. But I'm not sure if they were actually in class or just books that were in school that I read.

But ones I definitely remember reading for class were Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Tess, The Pearl by John Steinbeck (which I didn't enjoy and I've not revisited so maybe I should :hmm:), The Playmaker by Thomas Keneally and Wise Children by Angela Carter (which I absolutely loved and kicked off me reading all of her novels and short stories).

Plus Macbeth, Othello and Lear. Apart from the standard WW1 poets and Carol Ann Duffy I don't remember any poetry we read - but I generally didn't like poetry. I'm not a massive poetry reader now (though I still read some) - but, with the exception of Shakespeare (and possibly post-colonial literature) I think basically every essay I wrote at university was about poetry. So I clearly changed my mind on that.

Edit: Oh and An Inspector Calls :lol: There were also texts for drama and in terms of high school appropriate or not, one of our set texts there was the Marat/Sade, plus the Peter Brook film version and lots about Antonin Artaud and the theatre of cruelty - I kind of loved that unit.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Besides the ones I mentioned, I remember Grapes of Wrath, Huckleberry Finn, The Jungle, and The Good Earth.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2023, 03:03:13 AMEdit: Oh and An Inspector Calls :lol: There were also texts for drama and in terms of high school appropriate or not, one of our set texts there was the Marat/Sade, plus the Peter Brook film version and lots about Antonin Artaud and the theatre of cruelty - I kind of loved that unit.

We once staged Marat/Sade for our directing the actor class :D - but that was in college.

Gups

I Am David, some Sherlock Homes short stories, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Macbeth, Inspector Calls, Look Back in Anger, Great Expectations. Must have been others, but it's a very unimaginative, very English list.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 24, 2023, 03:27:05 AMWe once staged Marat/Sade for our directing the actor class :D - but that was in college.
Not sure that's the right unit for it :lol:

I think we did it for theory - I remember reading Artaud and Brecht as well. But it was supposed to inform our final  presentations. Which just meant a lot of insufferable final shows for the examiner :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2023, 03:39:57 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 24, 2023, 03:27:05 AMWe once staged Marat/Sade for our directing the actor class :D - but that was in college.
Not sure that's the right unit for it :lol:

I think we did it for theory - I remember reading Artaud and Brecht as well. But it was supposed to inform our final  presentations. Which just meant a lot of insufferable final shows for the examiner :blush:

That was sorta the point for the teacher. He was (rightly) big on embracing the acting as a moment of creation, not just reproducing the written text - so we ad-libbed a lot to "adapt" the text to current times (the 1990s to be precise). It was pure chaos so I guess it was a success :P We had a blast tbf, one of my fondest memories of college.