News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 18, 2024, 02:56:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2024, 03:09:44 PMThe Fuhrer is dead.  Perhaps they can be convinced lay down their arms.
Cut off one limb and two more will take its place.

Eventually. But there will be some temporary chaos that can have some advantages.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2024, 03:14:10 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 18, 2024, 02:56:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2024, 03:09:44 PMThe Fuhrer is dead.  Perhaps they can be convinced lay down their arms.
Cut off one limb and two more will take its place.

Eventually. But there will be some temporary chaos that can have some advantages.

Yeah. I mean, after this mayhem, when will Gazans have the means again to threaten an October 7 level of attack? 10 years, 20?

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on October 18, 2024, 04:02:16 PMYeah. I mean, after this mayhem, when will Gazans have the means again to threaten an October 7 level of attack? 10 years, 20?
There will be no more Gaza, no more West Bank and no more Palestinians in Israel in that time frame so that won't really be a problem.  They'll be cornered in a small piece of desert where they IDF will monitor them.  

There won't be any valuable land to steal anymore, so the IDF won't be operating 1000km away instead of protecting its citizens when the lion's cage is wide open.  Unless Netanyahu's successor decides to keep fighting in Lebanon.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2024, 03:14:10 PMEventually. But there will be some temporary chaos that can have some advantages.

By definition, a temporary advantage. And then what?

Almost every leader of a major anti-Israel terrorist organization got their job because Israel assassinated the guy before.  Those prior assassination caused some degradation and temporary chaos, but ultimately they did not work to Israel's advantage.  In some cases (eg Nasrallah), the result was a new leader that was more effective and vigorous.

That's not to say that Israel should refrain from targeting leadership - there are good reasons to do that.  But in itself, such kilings can only accomplish so much.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on October 18, 2024, 04:02:16 PMYeah. I mean, after this mayhem, when will Gazans have the means again to threaten an October 7 level of attack? 10 years, 20?

The means on Oct 7 were motorcycles and small arms. Oct 7 could happen not because of the incredible material and logistical capability Hamas could amass, but because the Israelis took their eye off the ball in Gaza. 

The belief that Gazans won't have the ability to pull of such attack for another 10-20 years is the most likely contributor to the possibility that they could.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2024, 08:38:02 AMThe means on Oct 7 were motorcycles and small arms. Oct 7 could happen not because of the incredible material and logistical capability Hamas could amass, but because the Israelis took their eye off the ball in Gaza. 

The belief that Gazans won't have the ability to pull of such attack for another 10-20 years is the most likely contributor to the possibility that they could.

Oct 7 could happen because Hamas devised a clever way of neutralizing the Israeli defenses.