News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

IIRC the Israelis invaded Lebanon in 1982 in retaliation for the killing of Israeli ambassador to the UK; worth remembering for an indication of the level of retribution they'll inflict on Hamas and Palestinians.

Also didn't the Israeli invasion and subsequent siege of Beirut kill something like 20,000 in Lebanon? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 07, 2023, 02:33:51 PMNetanyahu in his address told Gaza residents to "flee" because "We will turn all Hamas hiding places into Rubble."

to where?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on October 07, 2023, 01:37:16 PM
QuoteThey're not comic book villains, they're actual villains who sincerely believe that it's their mission to eradicate the state of Israel and the jews living there. And after that: elsewhere.
That ideology is quite clear as to what the end goal for the world is.
Intent matters, regardless of wether or not the means are there.
So stop being an apologist for Evil.

:lmfao:
OK. Sure. Let's say you're right and they really are as stupid as you think they are.

How then did they stay in power this long? How did they get there in the first place?

This kind of dissonance in the ignorant far right view of the world is so amazing. Your enemies are simultaneously impure, stupid and weak... Yet a massive massive threat that need to be tackled far more strongly than any of the corrupt weaklings of the world today are able to.

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2023, 10:47:38 AMTyr, Corbyn is gone.  You don't have to defend Hamas anymore.

Raz, Trump is gone. You don't need to pretend hostile forces are simpletons anymore.
Hamas got in power because Palestinians hate Jews.  Killing Jews is very popular with Palestinians and Hamas came to power in an election.  You don't need to come up with some sort of grand strategy on why Hamas is doing this.  Killing Jews is their default.  They just went big this time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 07, 2023, 03:25:02 PMOn security failure there's the intelligence side and I think there was an element of hubris around Iron Dome plus their intelligence.

But the thing I'm seeing Israelis point to is that there was only a skeleton force in Southern Israel and around Gaza because most of the IDF was deployed to the West Bank. From what I've seen that's being tied very much to Netanyahu and in particular his extreme parts of his coalition. I've also seen Israelis absolutely raging about videos of ultra-Orthodox dancing in the streets today as part of the holidays despite what's happened and the state of emergency - particularly as they also have exemptions from the national call up/mobilisation.

Let's hope so. Hamas are disgusting but there's a significant portion of Israelis who are no better.

Josephus

The taking of hostages is unusual for Hamas, if that's what they are doing. I guess human shields? Would IDF dare bomb targets with Israelis in them?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

I think at least 50 hostages confirmed so far which will definitely complicate things for the IDF.
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Josephus on October 07, 2023, 04:16:05 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 07, 2023, 02:33:51 PMNetanyahu in his address told Gaza residents to "flee" because "We will turn all Hamas hiding places into Rubble."

to where?

I wondered the same—I guess into the sea?

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 07, 2023, 05:23:48 PMThe taking of hostages is unusual for Hamas, if that's what they are doing. I guess human shields? Would IDF dare bomb targets with Israelis in them?

From this list there's only one confirmed swap, but I guess that might be largely down to lack of opportunities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arab%E2%80%93Israeli_prisoner_exchanges

QuoteOn October 18, 2011, captured IDF tank gunner Gilad Shalit, captured by the Palestinian militant organization Hamas in 2006, was released in exchange for 1027 Palestinian prisoners held in Israel.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PJL

Quote from: PJL on October 07, 2023, 05:04:41 AMMost likely it will end up with the depopulation and obliteration of the Gaza Strip.

I was concerned I might have gone over the top on my reply but given the lack of comments on this and the way events are unfolding, it might not be too far off the mark.

Caliga

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 07, 2023, 05:38:52 PM

to where?

I wondered the same—I guess into the sea?
I mean, what's he supposed to say... "Gaza residents, prepare to die?"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Upthread is was suggested it applies to civilians in highrise buildings which are also being used by Hamas as C&C centres.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on October 07, 2023, 07:03:55 PMI mean, what's he supposed to say... "Gaza residents, prepare to die?"
That would be in character.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

to where?

Presumably to any building that doesn't also house Hamas.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2023, 04:17:54 PMHamas got in power because Palestinians hate Jews.  Killing Jews is very popular with Palestinians and Hamas came to power in an election.  You don't need to come up with some sort of grand strategy on why Hamas is doing this.  Killing Jews is their default.  They just went big this time.

And in killing a few hundred Jews today they lose their ability to keep killing Jews ever again in the future.

No. I find it hard to believe that a majority of the Palestinian population value just one more dead Jew over their own fundamental survival.
██████
██████
██████