News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

No it isn't. Spreading democracy was no part of America's founding or political history. It was something that was promoted to help establish America's post-WWII hegemony, pretending it was foundational is fake and dumb.

Admiral Yi

Not as dumb as pretending I said foundational.

Eddie Teach

We really ought to be focused on fixing our own problems right now. All our attempts at spreading democracy lately have done is create resentment.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2024, 01:09:54 AMNot as dumb as pretending I said foundational.

"Organizing principals" and foundational are synonymous terms.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2024, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 28, 2024, 03:29:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2024, 02:40:00 PMThere should free and democratic Palestinian state along the 1967 borders. That was supposedly always been the policy goal of the US.

Nope, that is over now.

Indeed.  Israel wants lebensraum and it believes that every stolen bit of land is irreversibly its own.  Might makes right in Israeli relations with Palestinians.  At least they've learned the lesson that the Nazis and Soviets taught:  nibble, don't gulp.

Gulping worked out just fine for the USA.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2024, 03:07:50 PM
Quote from: Josquius on April 28, 2024, 10:10:01 AMTrying to fight to defend your land doesn't invalidate your claim to the land.

What exactly are you referring to you when you say "fight to defend their land?"

Apparently every single time some Palestinians didn't just let some Israelis do whatever they wanted with zero complaint since the 1940s.

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 28, 2024, 04:49:03 PMArabs control virtually the entire region, they have lost a small part due to 75 years of misbehavior. They will be fine.

This really does echo Russophile sentiments on Ukraine heavily.
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 29, 2024, 08:32:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2024, 02:40:00 PMThere should free and democratic Palestinian state along the 1967 borders. That was supposedly always been the policy goal of the US.

Nope, that is over now.

Indeed.  Israel wants lebensraum and it believes that every stolen bit of land is irreversibly its own.  Might makes right in Israeli relations with Palestinians.  At least they've learned the lesson that the Nazis and Soviets taught:  nibble, don't gulp.

Grumbler's post is characteristically stupid--I often wonder when senility / Alzheimer's will finally take him, isn't he pushing 80 years old? But anyway, Israel has not acquired any new land in decades--in fact it has given land away; see the Sinai Cession to Egypt.

Josquius

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 29, 2024, 09:14:16 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 29, 2024, 08:32:48 AM

Nope, that is over now.

Grumbler's post is characteristically stupid--I often wonder when senility / Alzheimer's will finally take him, isn't he pushing 80 years old? But anyway, Israel has not acquired any new land in decades--in fact it has given land away; see the Sinai Cession to Egypt.

This just isn't true.
https://www.vox.com/world/2016/12/30/14088842/israeli-settlements-explained-in-5-charts
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

Israel has controlled all of that land since 1967. That chart doesn't track control of the West Bank, it tracks housing developments within Israeli territory.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 29, 2024, 09:31:58 AMIsrael has controlled all of that land since 1967. That chart doesn't track control of the West Bank, it tracks housing developments within Israeli territory.
Israel has just annexed land at the beginning of the war.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Honest question because I have no idea: did the Palestinian organisation(s) in power at the time accept the 1967 borders as the borders of Palestine before they lost said borders?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on April 29, 2024, 11:49:33 AMHonest question because I have no idea: did the Palestinian organisation(s) in power at the time accept the 1967 borders as the borders of Palestine before they lost said borders?

Egypt & Jordan ? We keep letting them hoof the hook.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on April 29, 2024, 11:49:33 AMHonest question because I have no idea: did the Palestinian organisation(s) in power at the time accept the 1967 borders as the borders of Palestine before they lost said borders?

Well no.

Before 1967 remember the West Bank belonged to Jordan, and Gaza belonged to Egypt.  I believe the PLO had never accepted Israel's right to exist (and remember by 1967 the state of Israel was only 20 years old).  I don't know if they felt that WB and Gaza should also belong to a Palestinian state, but they definitely thought Israel shouldn't exist and instead be Palestine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: viper37 on April 29, 2024, 11:34:49 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 29, 2024, 09:31:58 AMIsrael has controlled all of that land since 1967. That chart doesn't track control of the West Bank, it tracks housing developments within Israeli territory.
Israel has just annexed land at the beginning of the war.

The land you're talking about has been under Israeli control since 1967.

As I said--Israel has not taken land since 1967, and has in fact given land back since that time.

OttoVonBismarck

Jordan also renounced claims to that land formally in 1994.

Besides them, no other state other than Israel has had meaningful control over the territory since the end of the British Mandate.