News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

They should probably start by building refugee camps. Hamas is not likely to let their human shields leave the Strip, but at least you show willingness to minimize civilian casualties.

Josquius

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 08, 2023, 10:38:48 AMThere's big tech gaps in drones. Some of the shittier drones the Russians / Iranians have used for example have suffered hilariously huge casualty rates without ever delivering a payload, these are drones that move at speeds akin to "walking" in terms of aerial combat, and can be very rapidly killed by a number of modern military technologies.

In lower tech situations they are high reward for very low cost, though.

Then there are drones that are almost as sophisticated as fighter jets.

From what I gather from Ukraine though it's precisely these cheap and plentiful  flying lawn mowers with bombs attached that are causing the most trouble. The more advanced ones have effective counter measures available.

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2023, 10:50:21 AMThere is no perfect response to anti-Semitic fascism.

You know Arabs are a semitic people too right?
So... Yes.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on October 08, 2023, 11:42:59 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2023, 10:50:21 AMThere is no perfect response to anti-Semitic fascism.

So... Yes.

In the context you know what Semitic means. Don't play that game. It's below you.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 07, 2023, 05:38:52 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 07, 2023, 04:16:05 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 07, 2023, 02:33:51 PMNetanyahu in his address told Gaza residents to "flee" because "We will turn all Hamas hiding places into Rubble."

to where?

I wondered the same—I guess into the sea?

It's PR so that when Israel goes civilian smashy smashy there is less blow back than when Russia does it. That's either a good thing or bad thing depending on your political and or religious inclination.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on October 08, 2023, 11:44:16 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 08, 2023, 11:42:59 AM

So... Yes.

In the context you know what Semitic means. Don't play that game. It's below you.

It's Raz I'm talking to. Poking at technicalities in his picture book view of the world is just a bit of crack. :p

Plus there is a bit of a real point there - islamophobic fascists are running the show in Israel these days. Something many are keen to forget.
This is very much a shitheads on both sides situation.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 08, 2023, 11:24:39 AMSome of this is true, but Israel even under its current far right regime is not going to genocide 5 million people. The question remains what is to be done with them?

I have seen reports in Al Jazeera now that the IDF is sending geolocation based text messages to everyone living in a corridor near the existing border fence (on the Gazan side) telling them to leave the area. Makes me think Israel may be planning on leveling all structures within x feet of the border fence on the Gazan side--maybe making it a "no man's land." We shall see though.

Note that the people in Gaza who have reported this also have indicated they literally have nowhere to go, Gaza doesn't have extra homes for them to move into.
No, they will not genocide 5 million people.  But there 2 million people in all of Gaza and they will not occupy all of Gaza, only a portion of it.  

The area bordering Gaza is blurred on Google Maps, so it's likely a no man's land or zone controlled by the IDF with multiple military installations.  I'm guessing these will be moved forward by a few kilometers inside Gaza.  The strip will be shrinked further and the population will have to make do with what they have and the international aid that will come.

Israel has never really cared where the people go when they destroy Palestinian neighborhoods to create their own.  I don't see this as any different.  I just think the fence will move forward.

The situation was harsh before, it will be even worst now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

I did notice that it seems, just from the look on satellite imagery, that Egypt's border with Gaza looks more formidable than Israel's (though it is shorter, of course).

Hamilcar

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 08, 2023, 09:45:58 AMThere are reports that dozens of the Hamas hostages are US citizens. If confirmed, this massively ups the stakes.

The US is sending the Gerald Ford carrier group to "support".

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius You know Arabs are a semitic people too right?

Oh fuck off.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on October 08, 2023, 11:42:59 AMYou know Arabs are a semitic people too right?

My father was a wandering Aramean . . .

I do not think the Arabs of Gaza recognize the kinship.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Remind me, did Siege drink himself to death or is he still alive?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

He's leading a commando force into Lebanon.
PDH!

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on October 08, 2023, 01:50:19 PMRemind me, did Siege drink himself to death or is he still alive?

Fell down a well in a tragic incident. Goat didn't make it either.

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 08, 2023, 02:02:56 PMHe's leading a commando force into Lebanon.
He is a US soldier, or a retired US soldier by now since he joined around the Second Gulf War time.

Hansmeister might still be leading psyops from his couch though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

OttoVonBismarck

Will probably be a while before we have tons of reliable reporting on the damage in Gaza (the few journalists there apparently are having trouble with reliable internet, also most of Gaza has not had power for 30+ hours.) But it seems like the bombings thus far are massive compared to anything we have seen in recent conflicts between Israel and Hamas.

Before I went to bed last night they had announced over 800 sites in Gaza had been bombed. Today 150 sites in a single neighborhood were bombed with over 100 tons of munitions. While I have only seen limited videos / photos from inside Gaza I can't imagine but that the destruction is immense.