How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

Started by Savonarola, September 29, 2023, 12:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you think about Ancient Rome, the Roman Empire or the Byzantine Empire?

Several times a day
6 (14.6%)
Daily
3 (7.3%)
Weekly
19 (46.3%)
Bi-Weekly
6 (14.6%)
Monthly
3 (7.3%)
Yearly
2 (4.9%)
The what now?
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Jacob

I feel like the Scandinavian predilection - thinking about vikings - has spread beyond the fair shores of the North these last few years.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2023, 09:59:07 AMThe whole Roman Empire trope is an oversimplification.

What is the trope?  This whole thread is Klingon to me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2023, 09:59:07 AMThe whole Roman Empire trope is an oversimplification.  In the West, most men can be divided into three groups:  those that think about the Roman Empire, those that think about the Third Reich/WW2, and those that think about the Emperor Charles V. 

Run into countless folks who do one or two, or the regional subcategories below, I don't think I've ever run into Charles V fanboy, though I assume they must exist.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

I'm certainly no Charles V fanboy but I *think* about the Hapsburgs quite a lot more than the Roman Empire.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

FC Copenhagen beats Man U at home, 4-3.

Right now FCK is in second place in their group (4 points. Bayern Munich is in first (12 poionts). Galatasaray is in 3rd (4 points), and Man U in fourth (also with 4 points).

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on November 08, 2023, 07:43:44 PMFC Copenhagen beats Man U at home, 4-3.

Right now FCK is in second place in their group (4 points. Bayern Munich is in first (12 poionts). Galatasaray is in 3rd (4 points), and Man U in fourth (also with 4 points).

While the Romans did rule Manchester for centuries, they never controlled Copenhagen, so I'm not sure this is the correct thread for this post.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

:lol:

Oopsies. I'll leave it here because it's funny, but repost in the soccer thread. Could've sworn it was the right thread....

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2023, 10:03:41 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2023, 10:01:28 AMI guess we were once again left to conclude that women are the only sensible ones.

Is the Regency Era that much superior?  :)

It's all about aesthetics

1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 07, 2023, 12:46:06 PMI feel like the Scandinavian predilection - thinking about vikings - has spread beyond the fair shores of the North these last few years.
Metal music helps.
And the Vikings tv show.

Lots of people called "Lothbrok" or using scandinavian spelling for their name on metal groups these last few years.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Threviel

Well, some Swedes think about the Swedish empire days also, but I imagine our neighbours don't dwell on that too much.

Once when I was out and campaigned politically I got to talking with an old man that seriously wanted Sweden to re-establish the empire and invade the Baltic nations. He didn't quite answer me when I asked what why we would want them.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on November 27, 2023, 01:49:39 AMOnce when I was out and campaigned politically I got to talking with an old man that seriously wanted Sweden to re-establish the empire and invade the Baltic nations. He didn't quite answer me when I asked what why we would want them.
The first time, it was to piss off Russia, and that was a good enough reason.

Nowadays, there's not much reasons anymore since they're independent and they piss off Russia on their own...

:P

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.