How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

Started by Savonarola, September 29, 2023, 12:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you think about Ancient Rome, the Roman Empire or the Byzantine Empire?

Several times a day
6 (14.6%)
Daily
3 (7.3%)
Weekly
19 (46.3%)
Bi-Weekly
6 (14.6%)
Monthly
3 (7.3%)
Yearly
2 (4.9%)
The what now?
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

I can't remember the last time I thought about it. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2023, 09:25:46 PMI can't remember the last time I thought about it. 
I'm reading the Saxon stories.  I think the author thinks of the Romans very often.  "Roman road".  "old Roman fort".  "the Romans did this, the Romans did that".  "the Romans were these ancient, great people who were pagans, but father Beocca hated when I reminded him of that".

Gee.  So, I do remember when last I thought of the Romans: this morning, around 5:00 am, when I woke up and I read part of these books. :sleep:

Didn't the Celts leave anything behind in Britain?  Didn't the Angles, the Saxons and the Jutes built anything when they arrived?  Didn't the Vikings built their own damn forts?  You'd swear only the Romans built anything worth mentioning in this Englaland country!

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on November 01, 2023, 10:05:54 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 01, 2023, 09:25:46 PMI can't remember the last time I thought about it. 
I'm reading the Saxon stories.  I think the author thinks of the Romans very often.  "Roman road".  "old Roman fort".  "the Romans did this, the Romans did that".  "the Romans were these ancient, great people who were pagans, but father Beocca hated when I reminded him of that".

Gee.  So, I do remember when last I thought of the Romans: this morning, around 5:00 am, when I woke up and I read part of these books. :sleep:

Didn't the Celts leave anything behind in Britain?  Didn't the Angles, the Saxons and the Jutes built anything when they arrived?  Didn't the Vikings built their own damn forts?  You'd swear only the Romans built anything worth mentioning in this Englaland country!

A probably accurate representation of the views of dark ages people TBH.
We now know many of the Roman roads, forts, and so on were built over Celtic constructions, but that's a pretty recent development in histography. IIRC serious historians up to recent days were crediting everything to the Romans.
So some random English princeling in the 8th century?

Though the pagan focus is weird. I'd think at that point they would have thoroughly rewritten the history and focussed on the Romans as Christians.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on November 02, 2023, 04:27:37 AMThough the pagan focus is weird. I'd think at that point they would have thoroughly rewritten the history and focussed on the Romans as Christians.
Constantine, God's Yorkshireman.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on November 02, 2023, 04:27:37 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 01, 2023, 10:05:54 PM

A probably accurate representation of the views of dark ages people TBH.
We now know many of the Roman roads, forts, and so on were built over Celtic constructions, but that's a pretty recent development in histography. IIRC serious historians up to recent days were crediting everything to the Romans.
So some random English princeling in the 8th century?

I haven't thought of it that way.

Quote from: Josquius on November 02, 2023, 04:27:37 AMThough the pagan focus is weird. I'd think at that point they would have thoroughly rewritten the history and focussed on the Romans as Christians.
Uthred is a reluctant Christian at first, then a Norse Pagan, so he likes to tease Christians.  I suspect the author is not much of a Christian himself.  Christianity is rarely seen in a positive way.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 02, 2023, 07:47:43 AMIf only Julian was a better desert general

Or at least one that had his armor on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Rereading all the classics these days. Lex Arcana, Cthulhu Invictus, ooh and look a shiny new kickstarter by the Achtung! Cthulhu guys set in 160AD called  Cohors Cthulhu, talk about pulptastic!

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

The whole Roman Empire trope is an oversimplification.  In the West, most men can be divided into three groups:  those that think about the Roman Empire, those that think about the Third Reich/WW2, and those that think about the Emperor Charles V. 

There are also some regional variations - Americans thinking about the ACW, French about Napoleon, Brits about the War of the Roses or Cromwell (lots of subregional variations there).  Outside the West it varies still more.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

I guess we were once again left to conclude that women are the only sensible ones.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2023, 10:01:28 AMI guess we were once again left to conclude that women are the only sensible ones.

Is the Regency Era that much superior?   :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2023, 10:03:41 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2023, 10:01:28 AMI guess we were once again left to conclude that women are the only sensible ones.

Is the Regency Era that much superior?   :)

:D