How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

Started by Savonarola, September 29, 2023, 12:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you think about Ancient Rome, the Roman Empire or the Byzantine Empire?

Several times a day
6 (14.6%)
Daily
3 (7.3%)
Weekly
19 (46.3%)
Bi-Weekly
6 (14.6%)
Monthly
3 (7.3%)
Yearly
2 (4.9%)
The what now?
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Caliga

Weekly.  Back when I was doing Roman re-enacting, daily.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 29, 2023, 02:24:31 PM:huh: To be honest I always thought the Byzantine fanboi-ism was a bit :hmm:

Judith Herrin's book came out in all gold and I was: :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Like  lot of Euros I sort of do via abstract means almost daily- the only thing stopping it being daily is I don't necessarily leave the house every day.
I live something like 10 metres from the course of Hadrians Wall, just around the corner this fact is prominently marked on the pavement, lots of stuff is named for the fact around here, ranging from the authentic Fossway (the old course of the ditch near the wall) through to so many sports clubs, clinics, etc... being named Hadrian Doo-Dah.

More directly...yeah maybe weekly something I read leads me there.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on September 29, 2023, 02:59:07 PMLike  lot of Euros I sort of do via abstract means almost daily- the only thing stopping it being daily is I don't necessarily leave the house every day.
I live something like 10 metres from the course of Hadrians Wall, just around the corner this fact is prominently marked on the pavement, lots of stuff is named for the fact around here, ranging from the authentic Fossway (the old course of the ditch near the wall) through to so many sports clubs, clinics, etc... being named Hadrian Doo-Dah.

More directly...yeah maybe weekly something I read leads me there.

:cool:

Nice.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

You guys have made me realise despite moving from Hungary to England, I have ever only lived within the former borders of tbe Roman Empire.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 29, 2023, 02:24:31 PM:huh: To be honest I always thought the Byzantine fanboi-ism was a bit :hmm:
Well, from our pov, it's a bit weird.  I suppose for people with a Greek heritage, it's different?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Byzantium has cool vibes in being "hidden" history.

You learn Rome ended in the early first millennium and that was that but then outside school you see this entire backup empire that was completely hidden for you and had an interesting millennium beyond the end of the western empire.

That and purple is cool.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on September 29, 2023, 03:08:56 PMYou guys have made me realise despite moving from Hungary to England, I have ever only lived within the former borders of tbe Roman Empire.

Mmmmm... I seem to have spent just 4 years living outside of them myself.

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on September 29, 2023, 03:22:00 PMByzantium has cool vibes in being "hidden" history.

You learn Rome ended in the early first millennium and that was that but then outside school you see this entire backup empire that was completely hidden for you and had an interesting millennium beyond the end of the western empire.

That and purple is cool.

I mean - maybe it was hidden history in grade school...

It's just an epic tragic story.  It survives the fall of the west, but continues to struggle against Persia.  Just when they think Persia is beat, then come the arabs.  They're involved in the Crusades.  Then the turks slowly whittle them away.  The 4th Crusade comes as a stab in the back, the rebirth, and then the ultimate fall.  Just the siege in 1453 of Constantinople is epic enough.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Probably close to daily. I studied the later Roman Empire at university and half-heartedly try to keep up with the research. There are books about things Roman scattered in about every room in my house.

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2023, 02:55:33 PMJudith Herrin's book came out in all gold and I was: :wub:

Including that one placed quite prominently :wub:

I'm also conscious of moving in and out of Roman territory while traveling around the country, even in my commute. I was born on Roman soil and prefer to be buried there as well.

grumbler

I seldom think about the Roman Empire, but every couple of weeks some US politician will say or do something that causes me to harken back to the final years of the Roman Republic.  Sometimes I even pick up The Storm Before the Storm to verify that what I recall is accurate.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2023, 04:33:26 PMbut every couple of weeks some US politician will say or do something that causes me to harken back to the final years of the Roman Republic.
Ah, I am not alone!

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

To answer the initial question more seriously, I usually think of the Romans once in a while.  There's always something reminding me of the Romans, a book mentioning something Roman, a movie, a tv show, a archeological discovery, etc.

It's hard to appreciated history, live in a western nation and never think of the Romans.

Grey Fox

I don't think of it that often, probably monthly. Usually when I look at my map of the extensions of the Empire.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Whenever I read something, or see a show or movie.  When i throw a Latin tag into conversation.  Maybe once a week.