News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Millennia - 4X Civ Like published by Paradox

Started by Syt, September 21, 2023, 10:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

Humankind was dominated by finding degenerate combos between civ choices and had extreme snowballing.

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 26, 2023, 08:53:25 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 26, 2023, 08:43:18 AMI stopped playing Humankind, cause I did't like it.

CC seems to have an investment in this game, he's been touting it from even before it got released  :lol:

I'm just concerned about people condemning a game without actually playing it. It is exactly good game, but you actually have to play the game and not just condemn it because you don't like the aesthetics or something that's silly like that after playing an hour or so of a demo.

I may just be a dope, but I find aesthetics (and the details of this will ultimately be a matter of personal taste) in a computer game to be very important.

Syt

JumboPixel has made a video comparing Millennia (what he's seen and can say without breaking NDA/embargo) to other 4X games:

That said, I'm always a bit wary of his videos, because he tends to get hard into the hype.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Still getting that flash of dissonance every time he mentions the tick tree.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

A new update on YouTube...he shows you stuff about combat, production lines, and of course more about the tick tree. Also game will have a free preview next week

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Solmyr

So far the general opinion seems to be that the game looks like crap but there are interesting mechanics.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

So far I am: underwhelmed. The age mechanic is mildly interesting, although I suspect once you've seen each age, that's it (there doesn't seem to be any effect from the previous ages once you advance to the next one). The rest of it is pretty run-of-the-mill 4X stuff. And the graphics are really bad. :D

Zanza

I guess I will wait for Ara: History Untold then.

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on February 06, 2024, 12:29:34 PMAnd the graphics are really bad. :D

I thought I might have been playing Age of Empires III the original release with those graphics...

And yeah feels pretty generic. I've uninstalled.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Maybe P'dox should stop publishing games. When you look at Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2, Millenia, Life By You, City Skylines 2, Empire of Sin, Star Trek: Infinite, The Lamplighters League, the fails are really starting to stack up.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2024, 03:52:53 PMMaybe P'dox should stop publishing games. When you look at Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2, Millenia, Life By You, City Skylines 2, Empire of Sin, Star Trek: Infinite, The Lamplighters League, the fails are really starting to stack up.

Yeah I felt bad earlier thinking well Paradox as a publisher isn't a good sign, but you guys have trashed all my hopes for this one. You and the Civ4 level graphics I saw on Youtube.

garbon

Actually, maybe Millenia gets more fun if you got to play it for longer and then see more? It just wasn't that fun for me in the 60 turns demo.

chipwich

The demo wasn't fun knowing that my decisions weren't going to pay off.

Syt

Paradox also seemed to have been on a streak of good luck with some of their publishing - granted, some of those they picked up after kickstarter success. C:S1, Battletech, Shadowrun, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Age of Wonders Planetfall and AoW4. Of course only AoW4 has recently really been a success, and some studios left them as well (Obsidian, Harebrained, ... ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.