News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paradox: Star Trek Infinite

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, June 09, 2023, 02:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Nothing automatically wrong with it being just an elaborate stellaris mod.
But I do recall they released several games in the past that were just elaborate EU2 mods. They were Meh.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on June 16, 2023, 04:34:10 PMNothing automatically wrong with it being just an elaborate stellaris mod.
But I do recall they released several games in the past that were just elaborate EU2 mods. They were Meh.

#1 That was a long time ago.

#2 the Star Trek license is both going to cost Paradox some money, but also has the prospect of bringing in a lot of sales.  I don't think they'll do a slapdash Stellaris mod and call it a day.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on June 16, 2023, 04:34:10 PMNothing automatically wrong with it being just an elaborate stellaris mod.

:angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Were you part of those?

I remember for mods they were quite impressive but as release games when I think eu3 was already out they seemed off.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I never played Stellaris. So this might be my entry into that world.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

chipwich

I remember buying both Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy but I cant remember why.

Syt

This looks a lot more Stellaris than I actually expected. Not sure what I think about a mission tree that has a dedicated for building and crewing the Enterprise-D.

And since this is set "a few decades before TNG" I assume there will be a "historic" starting position/galaxy?

I downloaded New Horizons again for Stellaris. Launching a 1400 stars galaxy, but been sitting for 5 or so minutes now on "Setting Start Conditions: Large Maps will take longer". And the loading bar barely moved. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: chipwich on June 16, 2023, 11:03:45 PMI remember buying both Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy but I cant remember why.

Forgot about those. I think I had AoD but by the time I got it, I kinda moved on. These were HOI 2 or 3 related?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

chipwich

Both were 2. Neither convinced me that they were better than vanilla.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 17, 2023, 01:43:16 AMThis looks a lot more Stellaris than I actually expected. Not sure what I think about a mission tree that has a dedicated for building and crewing the Enterprise-D.

And since this is set "a few decades before TNG" I assume there will be a "historic" starting position/galaxy?

I downloaded New Horizons again for Stellaris. Launching a 1400 stars galaxy, but been sitting for 5 or so minutes now on "Setting Start Conditions: Large Maps will take longer". And the loading bar barely moved. :lol:

Been a while since I played it but I remember the galaxy still felt too small with the dominion discovered pretty quick.
Stellaris just isn't suited to St. ST is too crowded with races and most of its events are alien race related. ST doesn't need solar systems represented really, just planets.

I do remember liking how they handled the federation in one version though. Helped me sort out my head canon for real ST with the human led starfleet taking on an at first unofficial home for those who wanted to break free from strict established racial structures and explore.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

From their launch DD. :hmm:

QuoteWe are also starting to see all our reviews come in, and they are hitting around where we expected it to go.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

They were expecting terrible reviews? :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Tooled around with it a bit yesterday. It's indeed very much feeling like "Stellaris light". Much stuff you will immediately recognize - the map, managing planets, sending ships on survey missions, research, ship design etc. All with a strong Star Trek veneer, obviously.

A notable addition are race specific mission trees (for Cardassians, Klingons, Romulans, Federation), and some scripted "historic" events - the game takes place right after the Romulan attack on Khitomer (see TNG's episodes Yesterday's Enterprise and Sins of the Father) and has some light decision events. The mission trees seem to stretch all the way to the destruction of Romulus by supernova (e.g. Federation gets to offer evacuation aid to Romulans later on).

The game starts with a neutral zone between Romulans and Federation, Betazed is outside Federation borders, Bajor is under Cardassian management (as a vassal). The map seems to cover the Alpha and Beta quadrants with the "outskirts" of the Delta/Gamma. Space travel is warp based, not hyperlane based, obvs.

So, yeah.

I only played about an hour looking at the various factions etc., and I haven't run into any of the tech problems people have reported. Some report that AI during war is extremely passive, but I haven't made it that far. But it feels very much like "Stellaris - Star Trek Edition".

I'm surprised by some of the game's decisions. E.g. in Federation space only the founder worlds Andoria, Vulcan, Earth, Tellar are colonized, while e.g. Risa is not settled yet, even though we see the NX-01 crew 200 years earlier visiting there. And the mililtary build up feel quite weak/low for the stage of expansion the galaxy should be. Except for having more owned systems you pretty much have what you have at the start of a Stellaris campaign - a starbase, a construction ship, a science ship, and a bunch of small basic military ships.

I guess for now the Star Trek mods for Stellaris might be the better option.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

I will pass on this one. Stellaris seems a better game.

Josquius

After a few patches maybe it will be good?
I'm skeptical of how they'll do it and what I read now doesn't sound encouraging.
But a proper story driven star trek strategy. A new and improved birth of the federation. Would be great.
██████
██████
██████