News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Voters being responsible for whom they elect and Harris running a poor campaign can both be true at the same time.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on Today at 03:15:26 PMVoters being responsible for whom they elect and Harris running a poor campaign can both be true at the same time.

It can be. I don't think she has run a poor campaign though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I think Harris is not a strong candidate (although somewhat stronger than I expected her to be).  Joe Biden deserves a lot of blame for both running again, as well as for having non-negotiable requirements as to what private parts his VP should have in 2020.

That said, how can you run against someone with charisma of a death cult leader?  Especially one who is enabled by various cynical actors, both internal and external?  I think Trump is a generational stroke of bad luck for the whole world, like the black plague.  I fear that just like with black plague, we're just going to have to rough it out and hope we see the other side of it as intact as possible.

Oexmelin

"It's always the voter's fault" seems a pretty anemic vision of democracy, and its myriads of forces at play in politics, and in political culture. It's also pretty nihilistic or fatalistic, or a somewhat oblique ways to blame "voters" from which one excludes oneself. Is FoxNews the voters' fault? Is the structure of the media the voters' fault? Are the Koch brothers' the voters' fault? The US Supreme Court? Gerrymandering? The state of the political discourse? The sense of disenfranchisement?

The voters will never exist in some sort of platonic vacuum where pure ideas or ideal-typical political regimes will be carefully weighed and examined. To cast blanket blame on the voters is to abdicate any responsibility for our political world.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on Today at 07:37:33 PM"It's always the voter's fault" seems a pretty anemic vision of democracy, and its myriads of forces at play in politics, and in political culture. It's also pretty nihilistic or fatalistic, or a somewhat oblique ways to blame "voters" from which one excludes oneself. Is FoxNews the voters' fault? Is the structure of the media the voters' fault? Are the Koch brothers' the voters' fault? The US Supreme Court? Gerrymandering? The state of the political discourse? The sense of disenfranchisement?

The voters will never exist in some sort of platonic vacuum where pure ideas or ideal-typical political regimes will be carefully weighed and examined. To cast blanket blame on the voters is to abdicate any responsibility for our political world.

Well fuck I went from having the voters always be right to now I have to argue against the notion the voters are never right.

I mean I don't know what to tell you. The voters choose Trump because they agree with him and his views so if he wins, ultimately that was their choice. I am not sure why it needs to be something other than that. It is not like he is some kind of mysterious quantity that fooled anyone. Everybody knows exactly who he is and an amount large enough to win seems to want that.

So why is that somebody elses' fault than the people making that choice?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on Today at 07:37:33 PM"It's always the voter's fault" seems a pretty anemic vision of democracy, and its myriads of forces at play in politics, and in political culture. It's also pretty nihilistic or fatalistic, or a somewhat oblique ways to blame "voters" from which one excludes oneself. Is FoxNews the voters' fault? Is the structure of the media the voters' fault? Are the Koch brothers' the voters' fault? The US Supreme Court? Gerrymandering? The state of the political discourse? The sense of disenfranchisement?

I don't blame myself because I don't believe I'm one of those making the wrong choice.  Nothing fatalistic or nihilistic about that.  We are discussing how to get those voters to make a better choice.  A fatalist or nihilist would be indifferent.

A subset of voters are definitely responsible for Fox News.  A subset of voters are definitely responsible for the Supreme Court and gerrymandering.

grumbler

The answers to your questions are : yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

QuoteThe voters will never exist in some sort of platonic vacuum where pure ideas or ideal-typical political regimes will be carefully weighed and examined. To cast blanket blame on the voters is to abdicate any responsibility for our political world.

The political world is created the way it is because it is the world the voters respond to.  The Koch brothers would have no power if voters didn't respond positively to their messages and schemes.  Nothing anywhere exists in a platonic ideal, so appeals to its absence are meaningless.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

I think you are misinterpreting what the word fault means in that sentence.

It is of course, the voters' fault. It is only the voters who vote.  Claiming that it is some force other than voters that selects who gets elected is problematic to say the least.

Legbiter

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on Today at 11:53:59 AMIn a democracy people get the government they deserve.  Putting the onus on the candidate and their circus masters to put on the right entertainment is BS.  If voters in a democracy lack agency to point where they can't make rational decisions and think for themselves unless candidate X runs the right digital ad packages, then we might as well pack it up and accept our new dictator.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.