News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2024, 09:18:15 AMWill this penetrate into MAGA world?

Yes, it will confirm to them that Trump is a great statesman, sorting things out even when out of office

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2024, 09:18:15 AMWill this penetrate into MAGA world?
Putin is one of the good guys and Covid is/was a plan-demic.

Take your guess.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Trump currently leads in Michigan, polls show.
We're doomed.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zoupa

PA is also a coin-toss. It's really quite incredible that 50% of humans are so fucking stupid. It's also exhausting for the other 50%.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on October 09, 2024, 04:17:14 PMPA is also a coin-toss. It's really quite incredible that 50% of humans are so fucking stupid. It's also exhausting for the other 50%.

It really is something.

Like we're both in Canada.  I think reasonable people can have reasonable disagreements about Trudeau vs Poilievre (you know what side I come down on).

Or you're French.  I'm no fan of Le Pen, but I can at least sort-of see the appeal of her in the last election.

But mother-fucking Donald Trump?  You've got to be kidding me.  I have no fucking clue how anyone can see him as a credibly candidate to lead the free world.  He's just so fucking stupid - you only have to watch him for a few minutes to go "this guy just isn't all there".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

The Republican Propaganda machine is amazing. Very intelligent and respected people get brainwashed into supporting Trump.

Evangelical Christians are lining up to support a serial philanderer.

I don't get it. And really I don't want to get it. But I sort of understood 2016 but thought everybody would wise up once they saw what a shitty President he would be. And he was. But somehow his propaganda has tons of people convinced that that era was nothing but glory, peace, and prosperity.

So there we are. We're fucked. There is no silver lining if he wins this time. Not even the hope I had in 2016 that this would lead to a backlash.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Trouble is these things have a delay.
Trump got to ride the economic wave of Obama whilst Biden had to deal with Trumps backwash (and then covid and Ukraine... Would have been hard even following up someone competent) .
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Yes and frankly it was a miracle we avoided disaster in 2022.

But it looks like we might get one in 2024.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

My algorithm circle is a lot more hopeful. It even started to claim that Texas is within reach for Democrats.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 09, 2024, 07:20:22 PMMy algorithm circle is a lot more hopeful. It even started to claim that Texas is within reach for Democrats.

It is within reach. But not this year.

grumbler

Trump being an incompetent buffoon and ruining the country isn't a bug, its a feature.  His supporters are people convinced that the US has failed them and so they want it to fail everyone else as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I also find it amazing beyond belief that people think that Trump was an economic genius.  Only 2 presidents since 1870 have finished their term with fewer American employed than at the start of their term: Hoover and Trump.  Some genius.  Some plan.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2024, 07:50:35 PMI also find it amazing beyond belief that people think that Trump was an economic genius.  Only 2 presidents since 1870 have finished their term with fewer American employed than at the start of their term: Hoover and Trump.  Some genius.  Some plan.

I think my disdain for Donald J Trump is well established.  Fuck that goof.

(And if anyone has really good memories, I told you what a goof was in Canadian prison slang)/

The irony of the Trump presidency though is the only good thing he did was his "Operation Warp Speed" to develop Covid vaccines - and he's too afraid of his own supporters to take credit for it.  As for the job numbers - again he was president during a world-wide pandemic, which maybe had something to do with the drop in the job numbers.

He's totally disqualified from being president IMO - but not because of this statistic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

If the Trump admin gets a pass on jobs because of Covid then the next admin gets a pass on the global inflation resulting from the transition out of Covid.  Can't have it both ways.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Guys stop statistics talk when trying to evaluate Trump,  not to mention trying to convince people not to vote for him. Just makes you look silly. Politics are way past such nonsense like statistics. I am fairly certain it was a short anomaly that facts mattered in politics for a few decades, but it seems we are returning to normal.

The Left needs to find a cause that lets people point fingers at and blame others to feel good about themselves. And no, climate change, and minority rights do not count because these are things that mean giving things up for a lot of people. Be it civilisational comforts or the ability to jump various queues if you are the correct skin colour or sexual orientation. These are not things to establish mass appeal on. The are things to work on when you have gained power on the mass appeal thing.