2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Syt on April 17, 2024, 08:09:00 AMCIVIL WAR HIJACK!
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-gettysburg-civil-war-historian-1890325
QuoteDonald Trump's Gettysburg Remarks Trashed by Civil War Historian—'Unhinged'
Published Apr 15, 2024 at 10:59 AM EDT
Updated Apr 15, 2024 at 11:29 AM EDT
A Civil War historian has called the remarks Donald Trump made about Gettysburg during a campaign rally "unhinged."
Writing on X, formerly Twitter, T.J. Stiles said the former president's take on the Battle of Gettysburg, which was fought between July 1-3, 1863, and killed an estimated 51,000 people, was "inarticulate" and "reductive."
"Gettysburg, what an unbelievable battle that was," Trump said during a Saturday rally in Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, in what was his first campaign event in the battleground state. "It was so much, and so interesting, and so vicious and horrible, and so beautiful in so many different ways—it represented such a big portion of the success of this country," he continued.
"Gettysburg, wow—I go to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, to look and to watch," he said. "And the statement of Robert E. Lee, who's no longer in favor—did you ever notice it? He's no longer in favor. 'Never fight uphill, me boys, never fight uphill.' They were fighting uphill, he said, 'Wow, that was a big mistake,' he lost his great general. 'Never fight uphill, me boys,' but it was too late," Trump added.
Stiles said Trump brought up Pennsylvania to "flatter" the audience and that his views were "inarticulate, reductive."
He added that Trump's analysis of Lee, a general in the battle, was wrong as Lee was not known "to have issued downslope-only orders" and that his depiction of what happened was "rambling, unhinged."
Newsweek contacted a representative for Trump by email to comment on this story.
Stiles is not the only figure who has commented on Trump's speech. Author Stephen King, who is also an outspoken Trump critic, wrote a viral tweet calling the Republican "a dimbulb."
"Trump: 'Gettysburg! Wow!' What a dimbulb," he wrote.
Trump has mentioned the Civil War in previous events. Talking at a rally in Iowa in January, the former president said that the war "could have been negotiated" and thus avoided. On that occasion, Trump didn't suggest how he would have avoided the conflict, but said that he found it "so horrible, but so fascinating."
Pennsylvania has 19 electoral votes, the most of any swing state in the country. Trump won the swing state in 2016 by fewer than 45,000 votes over Hillary Clinton, but lost it to Biden in 2020, who won by about 80,000 votes.

EDIT: apparently Trump's "Gettysburg Address" has made it to Kimmel:

rambling, unhinged.

Trump?

Nah.  Can't be.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

OttoVonBismarck

Not every candidate is perfect, you have to make decisions--not supporting Hamas is an easy one.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 17, 2024, 12:01:10 PMNot every candidate is perfect, you have to make decisions--not supporting Hamas is an easy one.

not supporting Russia would be another easy one.

Grey Fox

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 17, 2024, 12:01:10 PMNot every candidate is perfect, you have to make decisions--not supporting Hamas is an easy one.
The UNSC is not that important. Really, it doesn't matter.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

I have concluded that you are trolling.

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 17, 2024, 12:16:35 PM

not supporting Russia would be another easy one.

Not expressing a desire to be a dictator is another.

Openly admitting that he wants to be president so he can avenge himself on his "enemies" is another.

Only two kinds of people support Trump:  morons and wannabe fascists.

If Trump wins, it will be because people prefer comforting lies ("Biden supports Hamas!") to uncomfortable truths, like the truth that Israel's current foreign (and many domestic policies) policies are a disaster for American interests and Trump will just egg them on.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on April 17, 2024, 02:06:43 PM

That's a real possibility. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

If only someone warned you all  :whistle:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Jacob

So Trump is really burnishing his anti-woke credentials, what with all the napping he is doing in court...

Admiral Yi

I was geeked when I heard about the napping on NPR but there's no video, so didn't happen.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2024, 01:15:17 AMSo Trump is really burnishing his anti-woke credentials, what with all the napping he is doing in court...
He's nearly 80. Can't expect him to be awake in the middle of the day.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2024, 01:15:17 AMSo Trump is really burnishing his anti-woke credentials, what with all the napping he is doing in court...

Just owning the libs as usual.

frunk

Quote from: grumbler on April 17, 2024, 10:30:51 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 17, 2024, 02:06:43 PM

That's a real possibility. 

I've long decided that trolls and idiots should be treated the same way, ignored.  Neither one will ever admit that they were trolling/wrong, so it really doesn't matter to me which it is.  It saves a lot of mental effort.