2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

You have to admire Andrew Yang's ability to fail at so many high profile ventures without ever getting rich or successful first.

Josquius

I hear all signs on polls are things are shifting with Trump falling behind?

A theory I've read is this is the reality of Trump the candidate/president hitting people and overriding the default "Screw the government" dislike for Biden in many.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Biden has improved in the polls, but it looks like a tossup to me at the moment.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 17, 2024, 06:31:29 AMBiden has improved in the polls, but it looks like a tossup to me at the moment.
I still fundamentally think Biden will win. But occasionally have a panic attack :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

CIVIL WAR HIJACK!

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-gettysburg-civil-war-historian-1890325

QuoteDonald Trump's Gettysburg Remarks Trashed by Civil War Historian—'Unhinged'
Published Apr 15, 2024 at 10:59 AM EDT
Updated Apr 15, 2024 at 11:29 AM EDT

A Civil War historian has called the remarks Donald Trump made about Gettysburg during a campaign rally "unhinged."

Writing on X, formerly Twitter, T.J. Stiles said the former president's take on the Battle of Gettysburg, which was fought between July 1-3, 1863, and killed an estimated 51,000 people, was "inarticulate" and "reductive."

"Gettysburg, what an unbelievable battle that was," Trump said during a Saturday rally in Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, in what was his first campaign event in the battleground state. "It was so much, and so interesting, and so vicious and horrible, and so beautiful in so many different ways—it represented such a big portion of the success of this country," he continued.

"Gettysburg, wow—I go to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, to look and to watch," he said. "And the statement of Robert E. Lee, who's no longer in favor—did you ever notice it? He's no longer in favor. 'Never fight uphill, me boys, never fight uphill.' They were fighting uphill, he said, 'Wow, that was a big mistake,' he lost his great general. 'Never fight uphill, me boys,' but it was too late," Trump added.

Stiles said Trump brought up Pennsylvania to "flatter" the audience and that his views were "inarticulate, reductive."

He added that Trump's analysis of Lee, a general in the battle, was wrong as Lee was not known "to have issued downslope-only orders" and that his depiction of what happened was "rambling, unhinged."

Newsweek contacted a representative for Trump by email to comment on this story.

Stiles is not the only figure who has commented on Trump's speech. Author Stephen King, who is also an outspoken Trump critic, wrote a viral tweet calling the Republican "a dimbulb."

"Trump: 'Gettysburg! Wow!' What a dimbulb," he wrote.

Trump has mentioned the Civil War in previous events. Talking at a rally in Iowa in January, the former president said that the war "could have been negotiated" and thus avoided. On that occasion, Trump didn't suggest how he would have avoided the conflict, but said that he found it "so horrible, but so fascinating."

Pennsylvania has 19 electoral votes, the most of any swing state in the country. Trump won the swing state in 2016 by fewer than 45,000 votes over Hillary Clinton, but lost it to Biden in 2020, who won by about 80,000 votes.

EDIT: apparently Trump's "Gettysburg Address" has made it to Kimmel:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on April 17, 2024, 06:31:29 AMBiden has improved in the polls, but it looks like a tossup to me at the moment.

Its a toss up in the polls but given that he has twice significantly outperformed the polls I remain very worried.

OttoVonBismarck

Biden will lose to Trump--the American voters aren't going to support a President that stands with Islamic terror.

And once Trump comes in the Hamastans will find out they aren't able to influence American politics.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 17, 2024, 09:23:38 AMBiden will lose to Trump--the American voters aren't going to support a President that stands with Islamic terror.

And once Trump comes in the Hamastans will find out they aren't able to influence American politics.

We once thought Americans wouldn't stomach a president who stands with Russia.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 17, 2024, 09:23:38 AMBiden will lose to Trump--the American voters aren't going to support a President that stands with Islamic terror.
Aka Donald Trump.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Syt

Quote from: Solmyr on April 17, 2024, 10:09:30 AMThe Saudis are Trump's best friends.

At least no Saudis were involved in terrorist acts, like 9/11.

/s
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I still think Trump will win. It won't have anything to do with Biden's stance on anything in foreign policy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 17, 2024, 10:29:25 AMSorry Otto but your guy Trump is finished. Kiss of death:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-68821646

In an age when far right regimes are actively attacking their neighbours

Quote"I want to work with fellow conservatives to take on what I believe is a real threat of Western society and civilization being undermined by left-wing extreme ideas."

:lol:
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 17, 2024, 10:29:25 AMSorry Otto but your guy Trump is finished. Kiss of death:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-68821646

I agree with Truss that:
QuoteThe former prime minister said the world was "on the cusp of very, very serious conflict" and needed "a strong America more than ever".

Which is why undermining America by voting in an amoral and corrupt dementia patient who willingly sells out America's interests for personal profit is a bad idea.