News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I will need to see a bit more evidence than simply people being bothered by tens of thousands of dead civilians. But certainly the nature of some of those chants puts it on my radar.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Seems to me that there's a segment of the pro-Palestinian left wing that comes across as pretty antisemitic. I'm not certain how much is carelessness and somewhat incidental vs how much of it is deeply felt and central to their positions.

OttoVonBismarck

If I had to guess the general state of Jews in society feeds into an othering in the left and they simply don't ever process Jews as "minorities" or "oppressed" peoples. They internalize Jews as the "positive stereotype", wealthier than average, prominent in law, business, media etc. (Ignoring of course that this has always been exaggerated--most American Jews are not wealthy, and in Israel where a much larger % of the population is Jewish, the idea that all the Jews represent scions of some privileged economic status is farcical.) I think they also largely see Jews as "white guys", which is also troublesome because the "average" Israeli is about as white as the average Palestinian (which is to say--somewhat white, but often not having that Anglo-Saxon white oppressor look that they imagine the bad white people in America all have.)

TLDR people they see as landlords and bankers cannot be on the wrong side of oppression in society.

HVC

I'm more intrigued by the flip side, how conservatives embraced Jews/israel. From keeping them out of neighbourhoods and clubs to acceptance and support from the influence of a death cult.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on Today at 07:02:26 PMI'm more intrigued by the flip side, how conservatives embraced Jews/israel. From keeping them out of neighbourhoods and clubs to acceptance and support from the influence of a death cult.

I think that's easy.

The idea of who is "white" has just expanded over time.  It used to be about excluding the catholics - you know the irish, the italians, the poles - and yes the Jews.  Over time though those groups have come to be embraced as being part of the white in-group, and now they're much more worried about keeping out the blacks, or the muslims, or whomever.  You know - the darkies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on Today at 07:02:26 PMI'm more intrigued by the flip side, how conservatives embraced Jews/israel. From keeping them out of neighbourhoods and clubs to acceptance and support from the influence of a death cult.

I think there are a few factors:

• Evangelical love for the holy land as the site of their pending end-of-times apocalypse. IIRC many Jews in Israel are going to "see the truth" when Jesus comes back during the end of times, so until then they should ideally be in Israel in readiness for the second coming. Something like that. Evangelicals have had a strong influence in North American right wing circles for quite a while.
  • The Israeli right wing has a robust approach to the use of force in their chauvinism which appeals to American right wing power fantasies.
  • Various forms of Islam is often cast as the enemy in right wing clash-of-civilization narratives. Those same forms of Islam also typically see themselves as enemies of Israel, so there's a "we hate the same enemies" thing going on there as well.