News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2024, 03:34:37 PMStarted on Phantom Menace.  My God this movie is a trainwreck.  Just cut every Jar Jar scene and it automatically becomes a mediocre movie.

If Lucas had just pulled the trigger on Jar Jar being the Big Bad as he'd ben set up to be, we'd be calling the Jar Jar stuff in TPM genius.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on July 26, 2024, 03:35:20 PMIt also becomes a 30 minute movie. He's like every-fucking-where.

Love child of Daffy Duck and a Rastafarian.  That's some racist shit.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2024, 10:17:21 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 26, 2024, 03:35:20 PMIt also becomes a 30 minute movie. He's like every-fucking-where.

Love child of Daffy Duck and a Rastafarian.  That's some racist shit.

It is odd in light of how the black actor felt.

https://people.com/star-wars-actor-who-played-jar-jar-binks-reflects-on-phantom-menace-exclusive-8640440
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

At the time I didn't care for the character. I don't know if I ever hated him, though. I saw that Jar Jar was the next generation's Ewoks that I loved so much and others despised. I kept that more or less indifferent attitude to him for years as it gradually softened. There was a Jar Jar appearance in a more recent book that has now made me really appreciate and even like the character.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

The lazy use of race stereotypes was one of the many problems with the movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.