Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on May 03, 2024, 01:19:27 PMWhen they come to power Labour really need to fix this transparent tory gerrymandering fptp crap in local elections at least.

I don't agree with it being FTTP but it's not gerrymandering. No boundaries have changed

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on May 03, 2024, 03:13:52 PM
Quote from: Josquius on May 03, 2024, 01:19:27 PMWhen they come to power Labour really need to fix this transparent tory gerrymandering fptp crap in local elections at least.

I don't agree with it being FTTP but it's not gerrymandering. No boundaries have changed

So I do agree with FPTP, but that's for another time.

Gerrymandering can definitely be a thing, but not necessarily.  FPTP can bring odd results even without deliberately playing with riding boundaries.  In Canada the Conservative Party has a lot of "wasted" votes because we run up massive majorities in a lot of ridings in Alberta and Saskatchewan of 70+% - but this isn't because of gerrymandering.  As a result the Conservatives have to win by a few percentage points in order to make sure we get more votes than the Liberals.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I use gerrymandering non literally.
Is there a better term for fiddling elections to up your chances that doesn't touch boundaries?

Without a doubt it is what they've done here. Mayors for a long time were elected under a fairer system... But this damaged their chances.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on May 03, 2024, 03:38:34 PMI use gerrymandering non literally.
Is there a better term for fiddling elections to up your chances that doesn't touch boundaries?

Without a doubt it is what they've done here. Mayors for a long time were elected under a fairer system... But this damaged their chances.

What did they do?

Because there's a difference between "cheating" and "trying to win".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Changed the system for metro mayors from instant run-off to FPTP. Instant run off is better, in my view, for a directly elected executive role.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Weighted average elections seem weird to me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.