Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2024, 12:26:48 PMAll of this depends on the guys actually ordered to launch a nuclear strike being willing to murder their own kids on Putin's say-so.  I'm not 100% convinced that that is the case.

What if he's been told the other side launched already?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2024, 12:26:48 PMAll of this depends on the guys actually ordered to launch a nuclear strike being willing to murder their own kids on Putin's say-so.  I'm not 100% convinced that that is the case.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on May 30, 2024, 11:34:22 AMNo. I didn't say that at all. I said after the failures of ukraine they're giving more attention to trying to reach this.

This is what you said "Though post-Ukraine invasion they do seem to have really gotten engaged in making sure everything is ship shape in the nuclear force."

DGuller

Saw a story titled "Biden secretly gave Ukraine permission to strike inside Russia with US weapons", read the first paragraph:

QuoteThe Biden administration has quietly given Ukraine permission to strike inside Russia — solely near the area of Kharkiv — using U.S.-provided weapons, three U.S. officials and two other people familiar with the move said Thursday, a major reversal that will help Ukraine to better defend its second-largest city.

I hope Russians will be good sports about it and not read the American secrets that Americans publish in their press.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 30, 2024, 05:22:16 PMSaw a story titled "Biden secretly gave Ukraine permission to strike inside Russia with US weapons", read the first paragraph:

QuoteThe Biden administration has quietly given Ukraine permission to strike inside Russia — solely near the area of Kharkiv — using U.S.-provided weapons, three U.S. officials and two other people familiar with the move said Thursday, a major reversal that will help Ukraine to better defend its second-largest city.

I hope Russians will be good sports about it and not read the American secrets that Americans publish in their press.

The Americans want the Russians to know this is coming.  The alternative is the Russians are surprised, misinterpret what is happening and push the button.  At least that is the thinking that would be consistent with the reason Americans put the ban on in the first place.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on May 30, 2024, 12:36:53 PM

What if he's been told the other side launched already?

Some of the he's know better.  One of the purposes of drilling, of course, is to instill the habit of operating your station without thinking a llot about it, so we can't depend on self-aware Russkis. Still, they know that a lot of what they are told is lies, so a launch out of the blue may be more difficult than it appears.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 30, 2024, 12:48:38 PM

I was surprised at the extent to which the film-makers were given the real Navy launch procedures.  They didn't need to do that; the percentage of moviegoers who could spot any fictionalization is tiny.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I imagine that making sure the dudes obey the order to launch is at the top of priorities for a nuclear force.  I wouldn't be surprised if the guys "press the button" on a regular occasion, as part of training, except in a way that no individual involved knows for sure whether that's training or the real thing.  For all they know one of those dozens of times they do the training maybe be the last time they do it, because they're actually doing the real launch this time.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 30, 2024, 05:14:39 PM
Quote from: Josquius on May 30, 2024, 11:34:22 AMNo. I didn't say that at all. I said after the failures of ukraine they're giving more attention to trying to reach this.

This is what you said "Though post-Ukraine invasion they do seem to have really gotten engaged in making sure everything is ship shape in the nuclear force."

Yes. You can't expect them to have accomplished a 100% overhaul in 2 years.
██████
██████
██████