News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Looks like the BC right "Reform" playbook may finish up in time for the next election. The BC Conservatives and the BC United are in talks to merge.

If so, it looks like the effect is simply going to be a harder right faction taking over the the BC Liberals, Reform style. Apparently one of the front runners for leadership is a suburban mayor who is leading with "the left is more interested in pronouns than paycheques." Which, you know, isn't really true in BC but I guess it's the zeitgeist.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

BB posts a full article and then makes the argument that the headline is click bait.  He should read what he posts.  And he should do further reading a lot said and written about the issue since PP made his speech to the police chiefs.

Since then PP has backed down on his commitment.  Or at least has not repeated it.  It appears there is now a disinformation campaign going into try to deny PP even said it.

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2024, 12:56:29 PMI trust (and hope) that our parliamentary democracy is going to serve as a bit of a bulwark against the wave of anti-democratic reactionary populism that is currently on the rise in the West.

Our Parliamentary democracy is actually the reason we have the Notwithstanding Clause.  Canada expressly rejected the American model and maintained parliamentary supremacy over political issues.

What worried people about PP's commitment to the police chiefs is he promised to use it in relation to criminal matters.  That would be a big change.