News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going to Gothenburg the hard way

Started by Threviel, May 16, 2023, 01:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

So, I'm going to Hamburg this Saturday to join the crew of Götheborg for a new sailing session. This time it's Hamburg -> Gothenburg and Gothenburgs 400-year celebrations.

I wasn't planning on having a thread like last years London one but I hit a miniscule minor problem and need some help.

I will be going by train, Öresundståg to Copenhagen and then the DSB train to Hamburg. When booking tickets it was impossible for me to book reserved seating for the CPH-HBG part. I do not want to stand up for 5 hours so the question is simple: On Öresundståg half the seats are not reservable, therefore one can sit there without the fear of needing to move. I've been trying to find if it's the same for the CPH-HBG train and I've failed.

So would one of our resident Danes or Germans do some google-fu in their local languages to see if they can help me?

Jacob

What train are you taking and what date?

I couldn't figure out whether there are any non-reserved seats, but using this website I was able to find available seat reservations (pladsbillet) from KBH H to Hamburg Hbf at a randomly picked time... but of course, I don't know if I can find one for the correct time/ train.

Website is in Danish, but google translate will probably do a fine job if required.

Jacob

Also... reading a bit here (in Danish) it suggests that "the easiest way to reserve seats once you've left is on the individual stations along your journey." So depending on the time you have available in Copenhagen, that may be an option?

It also says that journeys to and from Hamburg from June 17th to Aug 20th (inclusive) require a seat reservation.

Now, this page is primarily about travel using an Interrail pass so the requirement may not apply, but it's not clear to me whether that's the case (and personally I wouldn't risk it). The website also lists a phone number for booking seat reservations (70 13 14 18).

Threviel

I will be going from Copenhagen with Deutsche Bahn IC 395 at 10:55 on Saturday the 20th with a super sparpreis europa ticket.

Unfortunately I have very little time in Copenhagen, I will possibly arrive with 6 minutes to spare.

I, perhaps stupidly, used Omio, some website, to reserve and pay the tickets, they probably interface with DB and from what I can gather with DB one cannot reserve tickets for interrail.

Threviel

Thanks Jacob, using one of your links I was able to reserve a seat for 30DKK. You da man!

Jacob

Quote from: Threviel on May 16, 2023, 02:55:55 AMThanks Jacob, using one of your links I was able to reserve a seat for 30DKK. You da man!

:cheers: