Just a friendly reminder to all Commonwealth citizens

Started by viper37, April 30, 2023, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Man, I'm trying to find pictures of what the coronation looks like in Denmark and all I can find are pictures of the Prime Minister proclaiming the new Queen from a balcony at the royal palace.

I guess maybe in Denmark it's the proclamation that has mattered more than the act of putting the crown on the head. Makes sense, I suppose, given the old laws requiring the monarch to be proclaimed at the different great Things in the country to take the throne.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2023, 01:31:20 PMIt's not a holiday though. Everyone goes to work. Some horses walk thorugh central London but there's no opportunity for the general public to have a boozey weekend and party.

What? Well there is one obvious way to help secure the institution of Monarchy against encroaching Republicanism  :lol:

Especially as the other Bank Holidays seem arbitrarily placed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Just looked it up...

Orginally Denmark had an elective monarchy where the main thing was to be elected/ acclaimed at the Thing assemblies. This lasted until 1660, when it was replaced with a hereditary monarchy with anointment and a coronation etc.

Quote from: wikipediaThis rite was in turn abolished with the introduction of the Danish constitution in 1849. Today the crown of Denmark is only displayed at the monarch's funeral, when it sits atop their coffin. The present queen, Margrethe II, did not have any formal enthronement service; a public announcement of her accession was made from the balcony of Christiansborg Palace, with the new sovereign being acclaimed by her prime minister at the time (1972), Jens Otto Krag, then cheered with a ninefold "hurrah" by the crowds below.

This explains why I couldn't find any pictures....

Josephus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 08, 2023, 02:25:12 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2023, 02:19:21 PMbut think the ceremonies should be brought up to date and made relevant.

that's something that can backfire bigtime though. It's not a real problem for certain ceremonies to be (a bit) anachronistic. It reminds the people that they standing on the shoulders of their ancestors.

The only reason people watch is for the pomp and ceremony. I don't give a shit for the monarchy but when there is a coronation, I want to see it all, orbs, sword carrying ladies, gold dressing gowns, funny hats, the works.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on May 08, 2023, 12:22:27 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 08, 2023, 10:40:06 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2023, 05:54:37 PM
Quote from: Josquius on May 07, 2023, 04:03:31 PMApparently 9 million French watched it live :blink:
The Euro tunnel was a mistake :(

For whom? The Brits?  :hmm:
For the French.  You've been invaded by a bunch of British monarchy adorers! :cry:

Nah, I blame immature midinettes.  :P

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2023, 01:31:20 PMbut there's no opportunity for the general public to have a boozey weekend and party.
Outside of St-Jean-Baptiste, I've never had that kind of weekend.  I've always worked.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Not sure how I'll survive next week. 5 days of work <_<
██████
██████
██████

viper37

-The King and Queen were crowned...
-And they had lots of children !
-uh... no... The King is 74 years old and the Queen is 75.
-Your story is boring!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I can never hear the name "Camilla" and not think of Gonzo's chicken girlfriend.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on May 08, 2023, 01:55:08 PMAnyway that also looks silly, but a bit provincial compared to the British pomp.

That's Calvinism for you.