Just a friendly reminder to all Commonwealth citizens

Started by viper37, April 30, 2023, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Incidentally I suspect the palace will view yesterday as a success - initial viewing figures are about 20 million (which is about the level you get for a big sporting event). People turned out, despite the rain.

Today's the day when they're doing the "Coronation Big Lunch" and encouraging communities to have street parties - close the street, cook food to share with your neighbours, let the kids play on the road, have a few drinks etc. Tonight will be the concert and then tomorrow they're encouraging people to sign up for volunteering opportunities in their community.

I live in relatively central South London. It's a diverse area, it's built up and relatively dense. I've just been up and down Walworth Road and walked past two street parties (one with a bouncy castle). I imagine if that's happening here there'll be plenty going on middle England. So, I imagine, mission accomplished for the palace.

Basically it seems to have followed the script of every royal event I can remember.

Edit: I also see viewership in France hit 9 million and six hours of live coverage :lol: Maybe they are just waiting for a legitimate Bonaparte restoration :hmm: I saw a Spanish reporter note that there seemed to be more interest, reporters and coverage by republics (particularly France and the US) than monarchies (like Spain) which is maybe interesting.

Edit: Guardian piece on one of those street parties in Leeds: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/07/everyones-welcome-community-unites-at-coronation-big-lunch-in-leeds As I say for most people it'll be going to things like that, watching it on TV that defines the coronation not the arguably more serious angles.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I don't know. I checked it out. It was interesting, kind of like watching a historical reenactment. Also watching military parades done by countries allied with mine feels weirdly satisfying. Like hey if we do end up in a war with China maybe some of these people will help out or something.

And I appreciated all the cameos by my Canadian neighbors.

Doesn't mean I have any interest in establishing a Texas monarchy. And if we did everybody would want the king to be Jesus anyway, like Poland or something.

But maybe the big lesson for the UK is the monarchy would never be more popular than after you abolish it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Did they read everything from cue cards back in the day? Did they at the previous coronation?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on May 07, 2023, 12:29:19 PMDid they read everything from cue cards back in the day? Did they at the previous coronation?

I don't know. I just had it on in the background so I don't know if the BBC mentioned they were using the original 16th century cue cards from the coronation of Edward VI or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on May 07, 2023, 12:29:19 PMDid they read everything from cue cards back in the day? Did they at the previous coronation?
:lol: I imagine they used specially made vellum orders of services back in the day. When I was an altar server as a kid I spent a lot of time holding a book of services for the priest to read prayers out of - I believe these have now largely been replaced by sacred ring-binders.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

The Brain

I mean, I understand the feeling of safety of having cue cards, but have they never been in a school play or similar?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on May 07, 2023, 12:55:17 PMI mean, I understand the feeling of safety of having cue cards, but have they never been in a school play or similar?
I quite enjoyed the Archbishop of Canterbury's "in the name of the *checks notes* Lord". It's very Peter Cook in The Princess Bride.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

A cowonation, that bwessed arrangment. That dweem within a dween.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2023, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 07, 2023, 12:55:17 PMI mean, I understand the feeling of safety of having cue cards, but have they never been in a school play or similar?
I quite enjoyed the Archbishop of Canterbury's "in the name of the *checks notes* Lord". It's very Peter Cook in The Princess Bride.

:lol:

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2023, 12:02:49 PMIncidentally I suspect the palace will view yesterday as a success
I can't imagine reading a communique like:
"The crowning was a failure.  Not enough British citizens attended.  As a consequence, Prince Charles the 3rd and all the Royal family will renounce all privileges and pay taxes like everyone else when they work, effective immediately".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Katy Perry using her sing lyrics about the 4th of July at the coronation concert. :shifty:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2023, 03:35:48 PMI can't imagine reading a communique like:
"The crowning was a failure.  Not enough British citizens attended.  As a consequence, Prince Charles the 3rd and all the Royal family will renounce all privileges and pay taxes like everyone else when they work, effective immediately".

No. But failure would be if people didn't watch, didn't turn up in London or reacted badly - like was happening in the 90s (especially with Diana's death).

So they changed. Started paying their taxes on income, pushed a lot of hangers on off stage, got new media people and a new deal with the media etc. The palace will be watching public response closely because it's ultimately the basis of them existing.

QuoteKaty Perry using her sing lyrics about the 4th of July at the coronation concert. :shifty:

Also I'm never not surprised at how impressive British crowds find a drone display.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.