Marvin Gaye vs. Ed Sheeran plagiarism lawsuit.

Started by jimmy olsen, April 29, 2023, 04:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How similar do the songs sound to you?

The songs sound similar
0 (0%)
The songs do not sound similar
4 (80%)
I'm tone deaf, but wanted to vote.
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

jimmy olsen

https://www.insider.com/ed-sheeran-strums-guitar-sings-lets-get-it-on-trial-2023-4

This lawsuit is fucking stupid. "Thinking out loud" does not sound like "Let's get it on"

EDIT: Damn it! I fucked up a poll again. Locked the poll until  I can get it fixed by the mods.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 29, 2023, 04:17:48 AMhttps://www.insider.com/ed-sheeran-strums-guitar-sings-lets-get-it-on-trial-2023-4

This thread is fucking stupid. "Thinking out loud" does not sound like "Let's get it on"

EDIT: Damn it! I fucked up a poll again. Locked the poll until  I can get it fixed by the mods.

...snip...

FYP.

Thread needs to be mongerised. :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Interesting. Been loads of these cases lately and I had heard of sheeran having one at the moment but usually they involve some obscure crap nobody has ever heard of.
In this case though it's very unlikely sheeran wouldn't have heard let's get it on. It's the more famous of the two.

I'm not so up on my music theory but it does sound like both use the same super simple beat. But I suspect a million other songs do too.
I wonder if this case will be one to mark a big legal precedent that you can't copyright fundamentals.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on April 29, 2023, 01:40:17 PMInteresting. Been loads of these cases lately and I had heard of sheeran having one at the moment but usually they involve some obscure crap nobody has ever heard of.
In this case though it's very unlikely sheeran wouldn't have heard let's get it on. It's the more famous of the two.

I'm not so up on my music theory but it does sound like both use the same super simple beat. But I suspect a million other songs do too.
I wonder if this case will be one to mark a big legal precedent that you can't copyright fundamentals.
It's also the kind of song you hear so often you can't exactly place it right.  "oh it's that song from X".

So, while he did hear it, he probably had parts of it in his mind when writing his own song, like he had many other songs.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

The Gaye estate brought the famous (infamous?) Blurred Lines case and ultimately received a $5 million payout on what was a pretty dubious theory.

Then about a year later, they tried to reopen the settlement by claiming Pharrell committed perjury.  That effort failed.

I think it's fair to hazard a guess that the Gaye estate is on the aggressively litigious side.  It certainly seems that the $5 million in reinforcement received for the earlier lawsuit hasn't discouraged them from suing again.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on April 29, 2023, 01:40:17 PMI'm not so up on my music theory but it does sound like both use the same super simple beat. But I suspect a million other songs do too.

If that's the way things are going, then the profits of the entire popular music industry should be assessed to pay out royalties to the descendants of Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, and Bo Diddley.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 30, 2023, 10:45:16 AMThe Gaye estate brought the famous (infamous?) Blurred Lines case and ultimately received a $5 million payout on what was a pretty dubious theory.

Then about a year later, they tried to reopen the settlement by claiming Pharrell committed perjury.  That effort failed.

I think it's fair to hazard a guess that the Gaye estate is on the aggressively litigious side.  It certainly seems that the $5 million in reinforcement received for the earlier lawsuit hasn't discouraged them from suing again.

It's actually the co-author's (Ed Townshend) estate that is suing, not the Gaye estate.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

I see, it seems the Gaye case has encouraged others.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2023, 09:20:05 AMI see, it seems the Gaye case has encouraged others.

Yes, definitely, my understanding is that these sorts of lawsuits have become common since the Blurred Lines suit.  Ed Sheeran is unusual in that he fights them rather than settling out of court.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Can he counter sue for damages/legal fees?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on May 04, 2023, 02:49:47 PMCan he counter sue for damages/legal fees?

Not a counter suit.  The successful party in a litigation gets their costs - however that is defined in the particular jurisdiction.