News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I need Somme help with touristing

Started by Threviel, April 24, 2023, 06:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

For this years vacation we plan on going to Belgium and northern France. Of course everyone is very interested in the old battlefields and I've been trying to figure out what we should go to.

"L'Historial de la Grande Guerre" in Peronne and Thiepval and "The Somme 1916 museum" in Albert seems like the best museums and if t there's not time for all I thought both L'Historials seemed best.

But otherwise I haven't really been able to figure out where to go. Back in '19 when we visited Verdun the sheer scale of the landscape and remains of the war were what most affected me. I would like to visit something like that, now our kids are 9 and 6, so they'll be far more able to do longer walks. Anyone know of some kid-friendly (doesn't need to be too kid-friendly) location where remains are accessible or perhaps replica trenches built?

The 9-year old is somewhat historically interested and I would also like to get him an Adrian (or perhaps a Brodie) helmet, since mommy stopped me in Verdun, so any museum with a well-stocked shop would be interesting. Any tips?

Josquius

When I went there with the school many years ago it was to a place Google maps calls the danger tree. Near a town rather awesomely called Albert that I don't remember at all.

The main thing I searched for to find this was the newfoundland regiment monument which I can remember was quite cool, standing above the trenches.
It was quite impressive to me as a teen. Lots of fairly intact trenches (partial reconstructions and those left alone I think) and then huge rows of graves and a big mausoleum not so far.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Le Musée de la Grande Guerre https://www.museedelagrandeguerre.com/en/programmes/event/exhibition-nurses/

is further south in Meaux, i.e Île-de-France (Paris region).

There has to be something in or around Amiens, in northern France (Picardy).

Threviel

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 24, 2023, 06:41:15 AMLe Musée de la Grande Guerre https://www.museedelagrandeguerre.com/en/programmes/event/exhibition-nurses/

Damn, we were in Disneyland last time around, just around the corner, I did not know that that museum existed otherwise we would have gone. We will probably not pass that close to Paris this time around, although the wife wants to go to Parc Asterix.

One thing I noticed from Normandy last time around is that every farmer with a barn and an old jeep has a war museum tailored to American tourists. Lots of low quality places trying to masquerade as proper museums and I'm trying to filter out the crap. And we don't want to spend too many days exploring war, it's quite depressing a few days in.

Threviel

Quote from: Josquius on April 24, 2023, 06:30:03 AMWhen I went there with the school many years ago it was to a place Google maps calls the danger tree. Near a town rather awesomely called Albert that I don't remember at all.

The main thing I searched for to find this was the newfoundland regiment monument which I can remember was quite cool, standing above the trenches.
It was quite impressive to me as a teen. Lots of fairly intact trenches (partial reconstructions and those left alone I think) and then huge rows of graves and a big mausoleum not so far.

That was on my list of possibles and I looked it up more now, looks very interesting. Thanks.

Edit:
QuoteOf the regiment's 778 men that did their duty and went over the top, 324 lost their lives, 386 were wounded, and only 68 answered roll call that night. 101 years after the battle, an impressive bronze Caribou overlooks the place where Newfoundland and Labrador lost so many of its sons.

Looking at the general surroundings on Google maps, there are commonwealth graveyards everywhere. God damn depressing.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Threviel on April 24, 2023, 07:06:49 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 24, 2023, 06:41:15 AMLe Musée de la Grande Guerre https://www.museedelagrandeguerre.com/en/programmes/event/exhibition-nurses/

Damn, we were in Disneyland last time around, just around the corner, I did not know that that museum existed otherwise we would have gone. We will probably not pass that close to Paris this time around, although the wife wants to go to Parc Asterix.

One thing I noticed from Normandy last time around is that every farmer with a barn and an old jeep has a war museum tailored to American tourists. Lots of low quality places trying to masquerade as proper museums and I'm trying to filter out the crap. And we don't want to spend too many days exploring war, it's quite depressing a few days in.

It's a somewhat recent museum, opened in 2011, but seems well-known these days.

Maladict

There's a lot of interesting stuff around Ypres. And of course the evening ceremony at the Menin gate is very impressive.

barkdreg

In Flander's Fields Museumhaven't visited this since it's restoration but is supposed to be good.
Atlantik Wall Raversyde isnot that well known but is a very cool remnant of the Atlantic Wall, nice stroll across the dunes when it's sunny.
Deutscher Soldatenfriedhof Vladslo is in my view the "best" cemetery to visit. The sculptures of the grieving parents by Käthe Kollwitz is hearthbreaking.
Operation Dynamo Museumhaven't visited yet but looks nice.
Both Westfront Newport and Yser Tower are important for their influence on Belgian politics.
Royal Museum of the Armed Forces is outdated but has a cool collection including Napoleonic uniforms and Russian Tsarist treasures.
Gravelines near Dunkirk is a cute little town featuring a fortress designed by Vauban.

Should you decide to visit Ghent let me know and I'll give you some additional info.

Threviel

Quote from: barkdreg on April 25, 2023, 03:55:24 AMIn Flander's Fields Museumhaven't visited this since it's restoration but is supposed to be good.
Atlantik Wall Raversyde isnot that well known but is a very cool remnant of the Atlantic Wall, nice stroll across the dunes when it's sunny.
Deutscher Soldatenfriedhof Vladslo is in my view the "best" cemetery to visit. The sculptures of the grieving parents by Käthe Kollwitz is hearthbreaking.
Operation Dynamo Museumhaven't visited yet but looks nice.
Both Westfront Newport and Yser Tower are important for their influence on Belgian politics.
Royal Museum of the Armed Forces is outdated but has a cool collection including Napoleonic uniforms and Russian Tsarist treasures.
Gravelines near Dunkirk is a cute little town featuring a fortress designed by Vauban.

Should you decide to visit Ghent let me know and I'll give you some additional info.

Thank you. Gravelines is on the list of places to visit.

For Belgium we plan on a few Trappist monasteries (La Trappe, Westmalle, Westvleteren), Antwerpen and Brügge. And on the way back find some nice forests in the Ardennes. Focus is on France, since my wife is a francophile.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Threviel on April 24, 2023, 06:23:08 AMFor this years vacation we plan on going to Belgium and northern France. Of course everyone is very interested in the old battlefields and I've been trying to figure out what we should go to.

"L'Historial de la Grande Guerre" in Peronne and Thiepval and "The Somme 1916 museum" in Albert seems like the best museums and if t there's not time for all I thought both L'Historials seemed best.

Those are the most famous so you can't go wrong.
For the Welsh-inclined, near Albert in Mametz, you can find a beautiful Welsh red dragon statue, world famous, for the Welsh. So more for the true British islanders.  :P

Also, in Villers Bretonneux it is or it was ANZAC day (week long commemorations) so plenty of Aussies and Kiwies.
https://www.visit-somme.com/great-war/anzac-day-2023
QuoteThis year on 25 April 2023  the Anzac Day Dawn Service will be held at 5:30 am at the Australian National Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux, Northern France. In addition to the Anzac Day Dawn Service, a week of commemorative events will take place in Villers-Bretonneux including sportive events, concerts, walks of remembrance.

A shuttle service will operate between Amiens and Villers-Bretonneux for the Anzac Day Dawn Service.

barkdreg

Quote from: Threviel on April 25, 2023, 06:27:29 AMThank you. Gravelines is on the list of places to visit.

For Belgium we plan on a few Trappist monasteries (La Trappe, Westmalle, Westvleteren), Antwerpen and Brügge. And on the way back find some nice forests in the Ardennes. Focus is on France, since my wife is a francophile.

La Trappe is in the Netherlands  ;)  Westvleteren is a solid choice.
Orval might be a good option, perfect to combine with the Ardennes and the Bouillon Castle or Bastogne and it's War Museum.

Skipping Ghent but visiting Antwerp is a mortal sin.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: barkdreg on April 25, 2023, 11:37:17 AMSkipping Ghent but visiting Antwerp is a mortal sin.

worse than that even. Better than Brugge too :p

Threviel

Quote from: barkdreg on April 25, 2023, 11:37:17 AMSkipping Ghent but visiting Antwerp is a mortal sin.

Ohh, looked at pictures, you have a point. I hadn't even considered Ghent. Damnit, there's just so much to see and do, we would need a years vacation to even scrape the surface.

Any great tips on outdoorsy activities in southeastern Belgium? Nice forests or nature preserves? Bouillon Castle seems awesome for the kids (and us).

barkdreg

Visit Wallonia has a nice list of walks.
Le grottes de Han is usually a big hit with children, also close to another Trappist Abbey (Rochefort).

I've been looking into visiting Grand Commandery Alden Biesen,seems like a cool and historical place.

All these posts just made me realise how much there is to do in Belgium.

Threviel

Quote from: barkdreg on April 26, 2023, 12:02:59 PMAll these posts just made me realise how much there is to do in Belgium.

Yes, indeed. There's too much to do and too little time. Thank you very much.