News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The AI dooooooom thread

Started by Hamilcar, April 06, 2023, 12:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Josquius on April 08, 2023, 01:13:26 PMIncidentally at a talk the other day on being more environmentally friendly in the digital sphere.
AI training was identified as a key polluter  :ph34r:

Two eschatologies for the price of one. :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on April 08, 2023, 02:57:59 PM
Quote from: Josquius on April 08, 2023, 01:13:26 PMIncidentally at a talk the other day on being more environmentally friendly in the digital sphere.
AI training was identified as a key polluter  :ph34r:

Two eschatologies for the price of one. :thumbsup:

:lmfao:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on April 06, 2023, 02:04:35 PMIt's like no one watched the terminator movies. I mean that makes sense after the second one since their not worth watching, but the first two gave plenty of warnings.

They're  :bash:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Just trying to prove I'm not a bot :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

So... On those clichéd Sci fi  AI destroying the world scenarios.... An option I hadn't considered.... Someone things it'd be fun to tell an AI to try to do this.

https://futurism.com/ai-destroy-humanity-tried-its-best
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on April 14, 2023, 02:55:41 AMSo... On those clichéd Sci fi  AI destroying the world scenarios.... An option I hadn't considered.... Someone things it'd be fun to tell an AI to try to do this.

https://futurism.com/ai-destroy-humanity-tried-its-best

It was going to write an article about its plan?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

The part where it tries to not alienate the other bots is hilarious.

The Minsky Moment

In response to a query about incidents of sexual harassment by law professors, ChatGPT falsely accused Professor Jonathan Turley of sexual harassment of a student.  In support, it cited to a Washington Post article that didn't exist, fabricated a fake quotation from the non-existent article, and claimed the incident happened on a student trip to Alaska that never occurred.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

At this point I'd speculate that long term probabilities are 1/3 we'll figure out to handle AIs properly, 1/3 AIs will destroy human civilization, and 1/3 we'll have to Butlerian Jihad this shit.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2023, 12:12:18 PMIn response to a query about incidents of sexual harassment by law professors, ChatGPT falsely accused Professor Jonathan Turley of sexual harassment of a student.  In support, it cited to a Washington Post article that didn't exist, fabricated a fake quotation from the non-existent article, and claimed the incident happened on a student trip to Alaska that never occurred.

Ah but maybe Jonathan Turley doesn't exist either!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Hamilcar

I'm currently building my own flavor of Auto-GPT. Come at me.  :ph34r:

Legbiter

Just don't order it to make paperclips.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

HVC

Quote from: Maladict on April 14, 2023, 12:05:33 PMThe part where it tries to not alienate the other bots is hilarious.

Humanity will end as an inconsequential side effect of a ai civil war. ChatGPT tried to warn us.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Legbiter on April 14, 2023, 12:52:31 PMJust don't order it to make paperclips.

Someone already did that and sent screenshots to Yudkowsky.  :D

Jacob

Quote from: Hamilcar on April 14, 2023, 12:29:32 PMI'm currently building my own flavor of Auto-GPT. Come at me.  :ph34r:

What's you looking to achieve with your application? Any particular problem you're trying to resolve (or make more efficient)?