News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Old Geezer's Thread.

Started by mongers, April 02, 2023, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Out of interest do any American sports - especially baseball I imagine - have the tradition of sledging (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1742234-the-top-10-greatest-cricket-sledges-of-all-time)? Probably called something different though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 05, 2023, 12:41:34 PMOut of interest do any American sports - especially baseball I imagine - have the tradition of sledging (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1742234-the-top-10-greatest-cricket-sledges-of-all-time)? Probably called something different though.

Surely so?
At least on the simpsons it was a thing.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 05, 2023, 12:41:34 PMOut of interest do any American sports - especially baseball I imagine - have the tradition of sledging (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1742234-the-top-10-greatest-cricket-sledges-of-all-time)? Probably called something different though.

In hockey it would be called chirping.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/383071-trash-talking-a-look-at-some-of-hockeys-greatest-chirps
(just the first link I could find)

There's a whole TV series practically built around hockey chirps: Shoresy.  It's based on a character from another series, Letterkenny.  I'm sure it's on streaming where you are (CraveTV in Canada).  Warning it is not rated PG, but it is pretty darn funny.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Hell, we were taught to throw off the opposing batter with chants when I was learning Pee-Wee baseball.

Kids these days probably do all sorts of pronoun things with foo-foo and tattoos.  Everything is going to heck in a handbasket.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

In Baseball and Basketball (for free throws mostly, but also the air ball chant for shots that miss the rim and backboard) it is practically institutional with little rituals you are supposed to do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

CHanting is certainly one thing, but from what I understand about "sledging" (which is only based on Sheilbh's link) he's asking more about making funny and/or insulting comments only heard on the playing surface designed to get under the other player's skin and knock him off his game.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

In close contact sports I know it happens.  When I was an athletic tutor I heard some funny stories about mouthing off from football players who were trying to get into the opponents heads.  The really good ones were respected for this talent.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josephus

You know what modern word bothers me? Racialized

I mean , what's it really mean? :tinfoil:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on April 05, 2023, 02:19:01 PMYou know what modern word bothers me? Racialized

I mean , what's it really mean? :tinfoil:

My assumption: It means you're a normal person just like everyone else, but society treats you as if your race makes you somehow different from regular folks. It means that you experience negative treatment because of how your race is perceived, but it is something done to you by society, not inherent to you. That is, the conversation is not about whether you're "really" [group X], but whether you are discriminated against because society perceives you as belonging to [group X].

... that's my guess, anyhow.

Whether that distinction is important, I leave up to you.

mongers

What the hell is up with some modern trousers/jeans, feel like they're about to fall off, so find myself resorting to more substantial belts and underwear. :angry:

What is the point of that low-riding junk? :angry: :angry:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

And these kids with their smart phones grafted right onto their hands every hour of every day.  Yesterday, when I was driving home, I saw a young woman riding a skateboard looking at her cell phone the whole time; like the world is going to end if she didn't see her best friend's lunch the moment she posts it on Instagram.  The young woman wasn't wearing a helmet, which I can't blame her since her skull obviously isn't protecting anything useful, but she should have at least got one of those Otter Boxes.  Those phones cost a lot of money.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on April 05, 2023, 04:18:22 PMAnd these kids with their smart phones grafted right onto their hands every hour of every day.  Yesterday, when I was driving home, I saw a young woman riding a skateboard looking at her cell phone the whole time; like the world is going to end if she didn't see her best friend's lunch the moment she posts it on Instagram.  The young woman wasn't wearing a helmet, which I can't blame her since her skull obviously isn't protecting anything useful, but she should have at least got one of those Otter Boxes.  Those phones cost a lot of money.

Again the quality just shines through. :D

I had the "what do young people do on their phones/screens all day"  conversation with a friend I bumped into the last night. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on April 05, 2023, 10:01:25 AMI was arguing to argue.  This is the old geezer's thread.

Note that the geezer in the title is singular.  It's his thread, we are just visiting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!