News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Old Geezer's Thread.

Started by mongers, April 02, 2023, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I was at a board meeting last night in which people, all over the age of 50, were pontificating on the point that a paper free environment will never happen. I pointed out that it will likely never happen for them, but that a generation of Zoomers, who are completely at home within a digital environment, are entering the workforce and both policies and procedures of organizations need to take that into account. People looked at me like I was crazy.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2023, 09:39:45 AMI was at a board meeting last night in which people, all over the age of 50, were pontificating on the point that a paper free environment will never happen. I pointed out that it will likely never happen for them, but that a generation of Zoomers, who are completely at home within a digital environment, are entering the workforce and both policies and procedures of organizations need to take that into account. People looked at me like I was The Crazy Canuck.

FYP.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2023, 09:39:45 AMI was at a board meeting last night in which people, all over the age of 50, were pontificating on the point that a paper free environment will never happen. I pointed out that it will likely never happen for them, but that a generation of Zoomers, who are completely at home within a digital environment, are entering the workforce and both policies and procedures of organizations need to take that into account. People looked at me like I was crazy.

Even our legal department who were staunch holdouts on "we need wet signatures on contracts" have gone completely electronic "paper"work/e-signature (pandemic helped a lot with the switch :P ). It's been a while since I needed any piece of paper for my work.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2023, 09:39:45 AMI was at a board meeting last night in which people, all over the age of 50, were pontificating on the point that a paper free environment will never happen. I pointed out that it will likely never happen for them, but that a generation of Zoomers, who are completely at home within a digital environment, are entering the workforce and both policies and procedures of organizations need to take that into account. People looked at me like I was crazy.
Maybe. I think for the workplace 100% - I think we're almost there already in a lot of offices. The only paper I use at work is my notebook - and I might move to an iPad for that. There is almost no paper around in the office ever.

But I think in a strange way it might be going the other way in people's personal lives/consumption.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2023, 10:01:58 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2023, 09:39:45 AMI was at a board meeting last night in which people, all over the age of 50, were pontificating on the point that a paper free environment will never happen. I pointed out that it will likely never happen for them, but that a generation of Zoomers, who are completely at home within a digital environment, are entering the workforce and both policies and procedures of organizations need to take that into account. People looked at me like I was The Crazy Canuck.

FYP.

Well, at least the messenger did not get shot.  :P

Savonarola

So I see the single biggest story in the universe is that bubblegum princess Taylor Swift may be dating some professional football player or other.  (I haven't followed professional football since 2008, so I'm not really sure who he is.)  While everyone has loved a celebrity romance story ever since Mr. Browning and Miss Barret were rumored to be exchanging letters; in this case not everyone is on board.  This opinion article amused me:

The Taylor Swift-Travis Kelce narrative has a dark side

At least for the title as I kept imagining Darth Vader saying "If only you knew the power of the dark side of the Taylor Swift-Travis Kelce narrative."  Sadly the "Dark side" here isn't about bringing order to the galaxy or even that Taylor is totally into whips, chains and ball gags; it has more to do with hetronormativity, internalization and that sort of blather.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tamas

A quick scan of that article seems to show that that the author thinks rumours about celebrity relationships (hetero ones, yuck!) are a hetero male passtime. Sounds legit.

Darth Wagtaros

Sounds completely true. Why I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't keep track of influencers' constant relationship changes.
PDH!

Grey Fox

Taylor Swift is 33 years old. So is Travis Kelce. This is no teenage romance. It will be extremely profitable for both the NFL and Taylor's music empire.

I am not reading the article, being made fun of because I am not queer is not something I enjoy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

She'll get a new song out of it once they break up and he gets frigid awkward sex. Win-win? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

I don't care if I'm made fun of for being or not being queer.

I just profoundly do not care about celebrity social lives - or celebrities in general. And that extends to reading articles about the phenomenon itself.

So yeah, also not reading the article.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 28, 2023, 05:27:02 PMA quick scan of that article seems to show that that the author thinks rumours about celebrity relationships (hetero ones, yuck!) are a hetero male passtime. Sounds legit.

Okay can you explain your response? I've now read the article twice ad I found your summary so baffling.

I didn't see evidence that the author was icked by heterosexuality. Their piece was a feminist one with heterosexual male entitlement as the target. And basic idea was Taylor likes to keep her love life at of international news and that Kelce and various sports affiliated media did the exact opposite.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2023, 08:31:14 PMI am not reading the article, being made fun of because I am not queer is not something I enjoy.

Same question to you that I asked Tamas. But perhaps even more inquisitively as I'm not sure how the author was making fun of you for not being gay. In fact, what has led you to such a defensive conclusion?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Is the article saying that Swift normally doesn't put her love life to the press, but that her new boyfriend and the sports press are running with a lot of "look at sport-bro banging this super hot famous chick"?

Tamas

The article stipulates the reason why the media was pushing for gossip on this was because it is the sports media and is made of hetero males. The premise that the bedrock of the celebrity gossip market is demand for it by heterosexual men is ludicrous and destroys any point thr article is trying to make.