News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Old Geezer's Thread.

Started by mongers, April 02, 2023, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Stories I read say Clark used a similar gesture in an earlier tournament game.  Puts a rather different spin on it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 04, 2023, 06:00:09 PMStories I read say Clark used a similar gesture in an earlier tournament game.  Puts a rather different spin on it.

What is that spin?

The Minsky Moment

You need to speak louder. And try my other ear.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

The Minsky Moment

Clark was hotdogging it and showing up others in the tournament.  Reese put her in her place.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 04, 2023, 06:00:09 PMStories I read say Clark used a similar gesture in an earlier tournament game.  Puts a rather different spin on it.

I think that what puts a different spin on it is that Caitlin Clarke says that Angel Reese's woofing after the win was perfectly fine and that she'd done similar in the past.  The bragging gesture isn't aimed at a single person on the other team, but the whole team.  It is absolutely typical sports woofing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 04, 2023, 06:25:04 PMClark was hotdogging it and showing up others in the tournament.  Reese put her in her place.

That would be a shitty spin.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 04, 2023, 06:25:04 PMClark was hotdogging it and showing up others in the tournament.  Reese put her in her place.

That is Vox's spin.  Also that men are terrible.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2023/4/3/23668696/angel-reese-caitlin-clark-taunt-ncaa-womens-basketball

The Minsky Moment

Men are terrible.
Women too.
Best to stick with dogs.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 04, 2023, 08:04:04 PMMen are terrible.
Women too.
Best to stick with dogs.

Brain would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 04, 2023, 08:04:04 PMBest to stick with dogs.

Pit Bulls are pychos and their owners are loons.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

I do not believe any of those stories. This is a non-story.

Clark scored 30 points. She did great in the game, she was not shamed or put in her place or whatever. LSU won and was doing normal sports stuff. Good for them, that was a good Iowa team they beat. *shrug*
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2023, 05:37:38 PM
Quote from: PDH on April 04, 2023, 05:30:46 PMWho the fuck cares?

I do.  Anyone else who cares about manners.

You don't know what else was said in the game. It is just one image being made to mean all this stuff it probably doesn't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2023, 08:36:59 PMYou don't know what else was said in the game. It is just one image being made to mean all this stuff it probably doesn't.

Are you arguing that no one should care about this story or that those arguing Reese behaved inappropriately are wrong?