News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rental e-scooters : yea or nay?

Started by Duque de Bragança, April 02, 2023, 01:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rental e-scooters: yea or nay?

Yea: we need more accidents on  pavements and even more crowded public transportation by e-scooter riders when the weather is bad
3 (27.3%)
Nay: enough deaths already and it's not green actually
4 (36.4%)
Jaron option: the Emperor's Exarch for Francogallia does not care about small Lutetian matters
0 (0%)
Abstain: diversion by Hidingo, Notre Dame des Bobos, to avoid some other pressing issues since her decision is already made
0 (0%)
Let's ban or tax (the French way) SUVs instead in the city centre (Île-de-France will have to wait)
1 (9.1%)
Add e-scooter riding for two for the Paris Olympics next year
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Oexmelin

I used them quite a bit when I was living in the US.

They were useful because few cities in the US have a municipal rental bike scheme - because few cities in the US are ever willing to invest in cycling infrastructure, or, when they do, they under-invest, so you have a few stands scattered around limited parts of the city, often as a tourist scheme rather than a commuting scheme.

So, I used them the same way I would have used such a service - whenever I changed plans and felt like I needed to get faster to my destination, or to get to the train/metro station, or whenever I felt it was actually faster than using the (under-funded) public transportation, or whenever I didn't want to get worried about having my bicycle stolen, or when I needed to get somewhere and not get super sweaty under Midwestern high humidity, etc.

Obviously, I needed to use some discernment about where to ride them, and I usually took the more residential streets to get to my destination rather than the more direct, and usually more dangerous, routes. But considering how clueless many American drivers are re: cyclists on the road (many apparently thinking cyclists are required to be on the sidewalk),I did the same while cycling.
Que le grand cric me croque !

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 03, 2023, 10:45:18 PMI used them quite a bit when I was living in the US.

They were useful because few cities in the US have a municipal rental bike scheme - because few cities in the US are ever willing to invest in cycling infrastructure, or, when they do, they under-invest, so you have a few stands scattered around limited parts of the city, often as a tourist scheme rather than a commuting scheme.

So, I used them the same way I would have used such a service - whenever I changed plans and felt like I needed to get faster to my destination, or to get to the train/metro station, or whenever I felt it was actually faster than using the (under-funded) public transportation, or whenever I didn't want to get worried about having my bicycle stolen, or when I needed to get somewhere and not get super sweaty under Midwestern high humidity, etc.

Obviously, I needed to use some discernment about where to ride them, and I usually took the more residential streets to get to my destination rather than the more direct, and usually more dangerous, routes. But considering how clueless many American drivers are re: cyclists on the road (many apparently thinking cyclists are required to be on the sidewalk),I did the same while cycling.

:cool:

Oexy, thanks for the real world feedback; I might have to reconsider the utility they might offer me.

Though in all likelyhood I'd be put off by the small wheels, more than happy to go from 700mm/26inch down to 20in wheels, but given the state of UK roads, I don't think I'd want ro rely on e-scooter sized wheels/tyres.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Fuckers are speed demon death traps in the Urban Jungle.

I downloaded the apps (easy to use at least for Bird, Spin and Link) and took a few for a spin; I figured in the event I missed my shuttle to the parking garage, or needed to zip across campus for a meeting, I could hop on one of these.

I mean, if swarms of 22 year old 145lb Chinese postgrads can zip around on them all day like it's the Tiananmen 500, I suppose I could handle it, right? 

Each hand brake controls each wheel independently, but the throttle is on your right thumb.  If you're not careful and totally uncoordinated, you might grab the brake and hit the accelerator at the same time.  Then you'll get to do what I did:  lose control, smack a curb, perform a Triple Lindy over the handlebar and wrap yourself around a light pole. Apparently I no longer hop like I used to.

You should be fine, Mongers.  You're used to bicycle controls, and they're slow enough for you to take a dump on the side of the road without much effort.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2023, 11:15:58 AMEach hand brake controls each wheel independently, but the throttle is on your right thumb.  If you're not careful and totally uncoordinated, you might grab the brake and hit the accelerator at the same time.  Then you'll get to do what I did:  lose control, smack a curb, perform a Triple Lindy over the handlebar and wrap yourself around a light pole. Apparently I no longer hop like I used to.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Those are incredibly gracious scores considering the dismount.

grumbler

So these things should be kept as evolution aids?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 04, 2023, 01:40:49 PMSo these things should be kept as evolution aids?

Fuck yeah. I'll take one for the team if the rest of the herd manages to get culled in the process.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Definitely think there's a culling effect in place. I have two buddies who took up e-scootering who both had pretty serious spills. One gave it up and got an e-bike instead. The other continued and had a second spill - he's just coming back part time at work after having been on disability for 6+ months from the concussion.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on April 04, 2023, 02:57:04 PMDefinitely think there's a culling effect in place. I have two buddies who took up e-scootering who both had pretty serious spills. One gave it up and got an e-bike instead. The other continued and had a second spill - he's just coming back part time at work after having been on disability for 6+ months from the concussion.

Unless you've got one and have had extensive practice on them, I really think they're for young, lithe people. Little shits.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2023, 11:15:58 AMFuckers are speed demon death traps in the Urban Jungle.

I downloaded the apps (easy to use at least for Bird, Spin and Link) and took a few for a spin; I figured in the event I missed my shuttle to the parking garage, or needed to zip across campus for a meeting, I could hop on one of these.

I mean, if swarms of 22 year old 145lb Chinese postgrads can zip around on them all day like it's the Tiananmen 500, I suppose I could handle it, right? 

Each hand brake controls each wheel independently, but the throttle is on your right thumb.  If you're not careful and totally uncoordinated, you might grab the brake and hit the accelerator at the same time.  Then you'll get to do what I did:  lose control, smack a curb, perform a Triple Lindy over the handlebar and wrap yourself around a light pole. Apparently I no longer hop like I used to.

You should be fine, Mongers.  You're used to bicycle controls, and they're slow enough for you to take a dump on the side of the road without much effort.

Good to hear from you CdM.

No, I don't think it's an issue of skill/controls, but the braking; it's trivially easy make brakes that stop these scooters within a very short distance, but given the riding/standing position, how on earth does the person avoid becoming a airborne missile before impacting the thing you're trying to avoid and/or the ground?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"