News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Iraq War - 20 Years Ago This Sunday.

Started by mongers, March 19, 2023, 10:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I was anti on the basis of there being nothing in it for the US but I thought the antis were all talking nonsense.  With the exception of those like the French who said it will increase terrorisim.

I did think compelling a defeated enemy to comply with the provisions of a peace treaty was a principle worth defending, and I still do.

I thought bringing democracy to the Middle East would be a wonderful thing to do.  I've changed my mind about that.

The Brain

I don't even remember if I had any strong opinion either way.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on March 20, 2023, 01:24:06 PMI would be very curious to hear if there are any folks that have changed their opinion from anti- to pro- or from pro- to really-pro-.  :lol:

I thought it was the right call at the time and took a few years to realize what a horror show it was/still is.

At the time I was critical of the Canadian government's decision not join in the war in Iraq.  But that was definitely the correct call.

grumbler

I'm with Otto.  The problem wasn't the invasion (the alternative would have been to just stand down and let the Saddam regime continue to murder, rape, and pillage their own people), it was the feckless handling of the post-war occupation.  Unfortunately for the world and the Iraqi people in particular, the US had a US had a triumvirate of VP, NSA, and SecDef that insisted on handling the occupation and also insisted that the problems with the occupation would all be trivial and so didn't need serious planning for.

One could, in hindsight, argue that, if the US wasn't going to make an omelet, it shouldn't have broken all those eggs, but it wasn't obvious going in that that would be the case.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on March 20, 2023, 03:04:44 PMI'm with Otto.  The problem wasn't the invasion (the alternative would have been to just stand down and let the Saddam regime continue to murder, rape, and pillage their own people), it was the feckless handling of the post-war occupation.  Unfortunately for the world and the Iraqi people in particular, the US had a US had a triumvirate of VP, NSA, and SecDef that insisted on handling the occupation and also insisted that the problems with the occupation would all be trivial and so didn't need serious planning for.

One could, in hindsight, argue that, if the US wasn't going to make an omelet, it shouldn't have broken all those eggs, but it wasn't obvious going in that that would be the case.
Also I've always thought that Iraq moved the focus from Afghanistan where the Taliban were genuinely beat and the country was, I think, more supportive of an international reconstruction effort. I think the shift of focus, resources and troops being prioritised in Iraq is a large part of the reason why the Taliban could return in Afghanistan.

But the other side of that is what you say - even if that had stayed on Afghanistan the US would still be run by the people it was run by and I'm not sure Paul Bremer and the team would've done a better job there anyway.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

At least it ended the sanctions regime. We probably would still have that going to this day.

There is not much else good to say about the outcome of the invasion.

The government that took over is such a mess and it remains as tenuous as ever that Iraq can move past its deep ethnic and sectarian divisions. It is barely mentioned in the news but every time I go to the internet to see how Iraq is doing it seems like they are in another political crisis. I wonder how long they can go on this way?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I was agin' it because I thought that it would cause Jihadis from all over the word to go to Iraq and attack our troops.  I also didn't see Saddam as a big threat.  I was surprised that Iraq had no WMDs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2023, 03:12:11 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 20, 2023, 03:04:44 PMI'm with Otto.  The problem wasn't the invasion (the alternative would have been to just stand down and let the Saddam regime continue to murder, rape, and pillage their own people), it was the feckless handling of the post-war occupation.  Unfortunately for the world and the Iraqi people in particular, the US had a US had a triumvirate of VP, NSA, and SecDef that insisted on handling the occupation and also insisted that the problems with the occupation would all be trivial and so didn't need serious planning for.

Also I've always thought that Iraq moved the focus from Afghanistan where the Taliban were genuinely beat and the country was, I think, more supportive of an international reconstruction effort. I think the shift of focus, resources and troops being prioritised in Iraq is a large part of the reason why the Taliban could return in Afghanistan.

But the other side of that is what you say - even if that had stayed on Afghanistan the US would still be run by the people it was run by and I'm not sure Paul Bremer and the team would've done a better job there anyway.

I disagree on Afghanistan / Taliban. They literally never left, and were down to like less than 10% of the country where they had meaningful activities. We funneled like a trillion dollars into rebuilding that country for 20 years and the tribal people just still prefer to have what they have now--there is no fixing those people other than walling them off from civilization and giving them a few hundred years to develop.

Grey Fox

I think in the end not going by Canada, France, Germany and others was a mistake.

While it's quite the hindsight 20/20, more participants could have only helped the post war situation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 20, 2023, 04:27:27 PMI disagree on Afghanistan / Taliban. They literally never left, and were down to like less than 10% of the country where they had meaningful activities. We funneled like a trillion dollars into rebuilding that country for 20 years and the tribal people just still prefer to have what they have now--there is no fixing those people other than walling them off from civilization and giving them a few hundred years to develop.

In retrospect, what whas missing is the intelligence to root the Taliban out of Afghanistan and offer a viable alternative to the Afghan people.

If the choice is between anarchy and tribalism, they'll go for tribalism.

Trillions of dollars were wasted on corruption.  By the time the US and other allies shifted their priorities back to Afghanistan it was too late.

It's like stopping chemiotherapty when the tumor is only 10% of what it was.  It's not gonna go away, it's gonna regrow.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 20, 2023, 05:38:57 PMI think in the end not going by Canada, France, Germany and others was a mistake.

While it's quite the hindsight 20/20, more participants could have only helped the post war situation.
They should have insisted on a clear plan for reconstruction though.

Had I known the only plan was to pray for democracy, I would never have supported that invasion.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

It is hard to believe in retrospect but it seems like Bush just believed whatever bullshit the Shias were feeding him prior to the invasion. At the time I foolishly figured that Bush and Blair had done their due diligence and/or knew something I didn't in their weird optimism the Iraqi people were going to cooperate with us in their public statements.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2023, 03:43:15 PMIn retrospect, what whas missing is the intelligence to root the Taliban out of Afghanistan and offer a viable alternative to the Afghan people.

Trillions of dollars were wasted on corruption.  By the time the US and other allies shifted their priorities back to Afghanistan it was too late.

It's like stopping chemiotherapty when the tumor is only 10% of what it was.  It's not gonna go away, it's gonna regrow.

I don't know if even a diligent, incorruptible, powerful, knowledgeable, and well funded Afghan leader could have done it...even if such a person existed.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2023, 03:43:15 PMIn retrospect, what whas missing is the intelligence to root the Taliban out of Afghanistan and offer a viable alternative to the Afghan people.

They were given a choice between growing fewer poppies+being killed by the Taliban+schools for girls+foreign aid vs. growing more poppies+being killed less by the Taliban+no schools for girls+no foreign aid.

Sheilbh

I think fatalism about that also massively underplays the role Pakistan played and I think the genuine opportunity around the post-war Loya Jirga and the early years after the Taliban were removed. I don't think anything of what's happened was necessarily inevitable.

But having said that the post-war Iraqi administration which was supposedly our focus was even more incompetent (and stacked to the gills with inexperienced ideologues while I think Afghanistan was of so little interest there were more professionals), so maybe it would have just been worse quicker anyway.
Let's bomb Russia!