Main Menu

Dilbert cancelled himself

Started by viper37, February 26, 2023, 12:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Meanwhile Adams continues to train wreck himself on his twitter feed:

QuoteI've lost three careers to direct racism so far. Crocker Bank, Pacific Bell, and cartooning.

All three were perpetrated by White people for their own gain.

No Black person has ever discriminated against me. That's partly why I identified as Black for several years.

Maybe he thinks his best path to climb out is to convince everyone he's mentally ill?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Ah. He is a twitter user.

Well that explains a lot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2023, 11:48:38 AMAh. He is a twitter user.

Nah, he's been loony for quite awhile.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I concede the phrasing of the question is open to varying interpretation.  I don't think the 4chan thing has much to do with it.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2023, 12:26:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2023, 11:48:38 AMAh. He is a twitter user.

Nah, he's been loony for quite awhile.

Twitter does have a way of radicalizing celebrities and enabling their worst behavior though.

Quote from: The Larch on February 26, 2023, 06:16:14 PMAnd who has come in support? Elon Musk, of course! No points for guessing.

Musk is virtually the poster child for this effect.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on February 26, 2023, 10:39:20 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2023, 06:33:57 PMLooks like the polled 130 black people.
Seems like a low sample for the entire US black population of 47 000 000.

Assuming a non-biased sample that would be about +/- 10% at 99% confidence (that is the survey shows with 99% confidence that between 63% and 43% of black Americans agree with the statement "It's okay to be white.")  That seems like a large margin of error to me (or a low confidence interval, the two are inversely proportional) but I'm approaching this from the standpoint of industry.  (Guller may have some better insight; this is more his area than mine.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

The error margin should be disclosed in the poll details but you can't get them without paying Rasmussen $20 per month for a "platinum service" sub.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on February 27, 2023, 03:38:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2023, 06:33:57 PMLooks like the polled 130 black people.

Assuming a non-biased sample that would be about +/- 10% at 99% confidence (that is the survey shows with 99% confidence that between 63% and 43% of black Americans agree with the statement "It's okay to be white.")  That seems like a large margin of error to me (or a low confidence interval, the two are inversely proportional) but I'm approaching this from the standpoint of industry.  (Guller may have some better insight; this is more his area than mine.)
Yeah, I'm going with Quebec's population of 7 million, and good sample size here is usually in the range of 1500-2000 people for 97,5%-99% confidence.

Now, I can't remember the exact formulas for calculating the right sample sizes, mind you...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

The question itself is very vague. What does it mean? How are people likely to interpret it?

Will they take it to mean:

"Is it okay for white people to exist at all?"

"Do you like this 4chan originated catch phrase?"

"Do you think whiteness as it exists in the US is free from white supremacist ideas?"

"Are you okay being friends with white people?"

"Would you feel okay with being white instead of black?"

"Do you think white people in general are careful not to wield their whiteness to harm non-white people?"

"White people as a group haven't really done anything to hurt non-white people."

"Is racism basically solved in this country?"

"Do you think it's cool for black people to 'act white'?"

"Would you be cool with someone telling you you're 'acting white' personally?"

"Do you approve of perfomative whiteness?"

"Do you think 'acting white' is better than 'acting Black'?"

... poorly worded questions - and IMO this is one such question - leave way too much room for respondents to read things into the question.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2023, 07:02:05 PM

Yeah, I'm going with Quebec's population of 7 million, and good sample size here is usually in the range of 1500-2000 people for 97,5%-99% confidence.

Now, I can't remember the exact formulas for calculating the right sample sizes, mind you...
The population size from which you're sampling doesn't matter for all practical population sizes.  The margin of error is the same whether you're sampling from 47 million or 47 thousand.

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2023, 01:17:10 PMTwitter does have a way of radicalizing celebrities and enabling their worst behavior though.

Yeah, should be a clinical term for this social media pattern of behavior by now.

QuoteNicholas Perry (born May 19, 1992), known online as Nikocado Avocado, is a Ukrainian-born American Internet celebrity best known for his mukbang videos on YouTube. As of November 2022, he has accumulated more than 7 million subscribers and approximately 1.8 billion total views across six YouTube channels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikocado_Avocado

Algorithmic virality as a feature is the original sin of social media...
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2023, 07:02:05 PM

Unnecessary.
https://www.qualtrics.com/blog/calculating-sample-size/

But yeah. 2000ish is usually good for an accurate representation of entire countries. You can get a basic unreliable survey for such big populations with a few hundred but it becomes even more important to make sure you get your sample right there.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on February 28, 2023, 09:06:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2023, 01:17:10 PMTwitter does have a way of radicalizing celebrities and enabling their worst behavior though.

Yeah, should be a clinical term for this social media pattern of behavior by now.

QuoteNicholas Perry (born May 19, 1992), known online as Nikocado Avocado, is a Ukrainian-born American Internet celebrity best known for his mukbang videos on YouTube. As of November 2022, he has accumulated more than 7 million subscribers and approximately 1.8 billion total views across six YouTube channels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikocado_Avocado

Algorithmic virality as a feature is the original sin of social media...

Why do you know of such things?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.