News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dilbert cancelled himself

Started by viper37, February 26, 2023, 12:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 26, 2023, 09:59:56 PMIt's Rasmussen, king of crap poll.

Among Whites, 81% agreed with the statement "it's ok to be white".  Either some picked up on a cultural dog whistle or thought (correctly) the question made no sense.

Or that they think it's not OK to be white.

Quote"Only" 53% of Blacks agreed with the statement but 21% voted "not sure".  That latter result is a glaring sign to a reputable polling company that their question was FUBAR, assuming that wasn't obvious to begin with. 

Or that they were not sure if it's OK to be white.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2023, 06:33:57 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2023, 06:17:46 PMThat survey result is quite the doozy.

Looks like the polled 130 black people.
Seems like a low sample for the entire US black population of 47 000 000.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2023, 10:29:25 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 26, 2023, 09:59:56 PMIt's Rasmussen, king of crap poll.

Among Whites, 81% agreed with the statement "it's ok to be white".  Either some picked up on a cultural dog whistle or thought (correctly) the question made no sense.

Or that they think it's not OK to be white.

Quote"Only" 53% of Blacks agreed with the statement but 21% voted "not sure".  That latter result is a glaring sign to a reputable polling company that their question was FUBAR, assuming that wasn't obvious to begin with. 

Or that they were not sure if it's OK to be white.

When you have 21% of the respondents to a yes or no question say "unsure," it's likeliest that they are unsure of the question.

And it is a dumb question.  What does "white" mean in this context?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Is it OK for black people to be white?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2023, 06:17:46 PMThat survey result is quite the doozy.

Not really. First of all it is just one poll and I would need more context and I would need more context to understand what exactly the participants understood what they were answering.

But even if truly 47% of black people either think it is not ok to have certain melanin levels in your skin or are unsure, well that is not exactly a hate group. 53% of a hate group thinking the group to be hated is OK would be a pretty weak sauce hate group.

But I would need many polls addressing this issue from many different angles to draw a meaningful conclusion from it. Immediately declaring you will no longer associate with any high melanin having people based on this one poll is a kind of an extreme response.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

The high "not sure" to me does suggest there was a bit of distrust at the weird question. A suspicion there was more to it than met the eye but a uncertainty of what.
Shame there's no follow up why.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2023, 01:11:07 AMWhen you have 21% of the respondents to a yes or no question say "unsure," it's likeliest that they are unsure of the question.

And it is a dumb question.  What does "white" mean in this context?

I agree. If I got this question on a survey I would just sort of baffled.

Is it OK to be 5 feet 10 inches tall? Maybe? I guess? What would it mean for it to not be OK (whatever that means)?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2023, 09:18:35 PMI'm kinda surprised that any paper was still paying perfectly good money for the Dilbert strip.  It hadn't been funny for years when I last saw it maybe 5 years ago.

Adams is not the first cartoonist to grow senile way before his time.

In fact I believe that already last year Adams had been dropped by a large number of newspapers after he started including "anti-woke" plotlines on the Dilbert strip.

The Larch

Btw, it appears that the "It's ok to be white" slogan is an alt-right trolling campaign that started on 4chan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_okay_to_be_white

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on February 27, 2023, 06:19:35 AMBtw, it appears that the "It's ok to be white" slogan is an alt-right trolling campaign that started on 4chan.

I was unaware of this, and that provides some interesting context.  The trolling campaign was weak sauce indeed but that campaign may have influenced or even caused the Rasmusson poll question.  It's still moronic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2023, 08:37:08 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 27, 2023, 06:19:35 AMBtw, it appears that the "It's ok to be white" slogan is an alt-right trolling campaign that started on 4chan.

I was unaware of this, and that provides some interesting context.  The trolling campaign was weak sauce indeed but that campaign may have influenced or even caused the Rasmusson poll question.  It's still moronic.

I had no idea either, I saw it quoted in the context of Adams' rant but never knew it existed before that. It seems that the campaign's objective is to provoke a reaction, and it seems that they've succeeded. I guess it's a bit like the "All lives matter" slogan, on its face it's inocuous and even bland, but within a context has a more nefarious meaning.

garbon

I had an idea as I posted about it in the first page of the thread. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2023, 09:14:51 AMI had an idea as I posted about it in the first page of the thread. :P

Then next time you should talk about it rather than just posting a link without explaining what's on it.  :P

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on February 27, 2023, 09:19:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2023, 09:14:51 AMI had an idea as I posted about it in the first page of the thread. :P

Then next time you should talk about it rather than just posting a link without explaining what's on it.  :P

It was nearly midnight :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2023, 09:20:53 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 27, 2023, 09:19:48 AM

It was nearly midnight :P

The Americans could have kept the thread going until the morning.  :P