Tennessee is set to become the first US state to ban drag

Started by garbon, February 25, 2023, 10:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Ban all public dancing, fashion shows and wearing of makeup - just to be sure.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2023, 10:26:51 AMBeebs must be happy that this 'sexualised' performances are now banned. :rolleyes:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tennessee-first-us-state-ban-204400321.html

What the fuck dude?

I literally said that people should be free to do whatever they want - I just personally wouldn't take my kids to a drag queen story hour (although they're now too old for any kind of story hour - they just read to themselves).  I think that's pretty clear I wouldn't want to ban such things.

This kind of bill is an outrageous violation of civil liberties - and as pointed out might go so far as to criminalize a trans person from giving any kind of performance of any sort.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

I've got no problem with drag reading circles.  Tempest in a tea cup and all. But this seem a bit excessive

Link is to a article, but is NSFW

Mommy and me drag bdsm show

I mean the kids won't remember anything, but seems oddly provocative. No different then dad taking the tots to a strip club.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2023, 08:47:43 AMYeah we are talking about fully clothed people being thrown into prison here for...wearing the wrong clothes.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on March 02, 2023, 12:04:26 PMI've got no problem with drag reading circles.  Tempest in a tea cup and all. But this seem a bit excessive

Link is to a article, but is NSFW

Mommy and me drag bdsm show

I mean the kids won't remember anything, but seems oddly provocative. No different then dad taking the tots to a strip club.

I don't really know why we should care about this. Some parents do strange things and...?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 02, 2023, 12:19:55 PMI don't really know why we should care about this. Some parents do strange things and...?
Yeah - I hate to be a fuddy duddy conservative on this but unless there's a legit safeguarding issue, generally we sould let parents raise their kids and make these types of judgements.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2023, 12:21:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 02, 2023, 12:19:55 PMI don't really know why we should care about this. Some parents do strange things and...?
Yeah - I hate to be a fuddy duddy conservative on this but unless there's a legit safeguarding issue, generally we sould let parents raise their kids and make these types of judgements.

I don't know if you can claim to be a fuddy duddy conservative and be pro drag show for kids at the same time  :lol:

As I mentioned there won't be harm to the kid, and I can't really explain why it feels wrong to me, but to quote justice stewart it's a "I know it when I see it" type feeling.

Guess I'm just getting older. Now get off my lawn.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Quote from: HVC on March 02, 2023, 12:26:12 PMI don't know if you can claim to be a fuddy duddy conservative and be pro drag show for kids at the same time  :lol:

English conservatives have been dressing up as women for centuries.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on March 02, 2023, 12:26:12 PMI don't know if you can claim to be a fuddy duddy conservative and be pro drag show for kids at the same time  :lol:
As PDH says if you've reached the age of 8 without a man in drag throwing Quality Street at you, you've officially had a sad childhood :(

I just think it's about parental judgement and not for the state to intervene. Parents can decide for themselves what they think is appropriate for their kids.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

https://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-senate-bill-would-ban-minors-attending-drag-shows/43015435

"As part of the proposal, business owners who allow minors to attend a drag show would face a year in jail and up to $2,500 in fines. Any person over 18 who knowingly brings a minor to a drag show at a business will be guilty of a simple misdemeanor. State agencies that violate the proposal would be fined $10,000 per minor.

The bill would also allow parents to file a lawsuit if their child sees a drag show. "

Jacob

Do they define "drag show" or is it one of those "I know it when I see it" type of things?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2023, 03:56:49 PMhttps://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-senate-bill-would-ban-minors-attending-drag-shows/43015435

"As part of the proposal, business owners who allow minors to attend a drag show would face a year in jail and up to $2,500 in fines. Any person over 18 who knowingly brings a minor to a drag show at a business will be guilty of a simple misdemeanor. State agencies that violate the proposal would be fined $10,000 per minor.

The bill would also allow parents to file a lawsuit if their child sees a drag show. "

Iowa not doing itself proud.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2023, 04:06:08 PMDo they define "drag show" or is it one of those "I know it when I see it" type of things?

QuoteFor purposes of this section, "dragshow" means a performance in which all of the following apply:
a. The main aspect of the performance is a performer who exhibits a gender identity that is different than the performer's gender assigned at birth through the use of clothing, makeup, accessories, or other gender signifiers.
b. The performer sings, lip-syncs, dances, reads, or otherwise performs before an audience for entertainment, whether or not performed for payment.

SENATE FILE 348

The usual moronic legal proposal from  someone who desperately wants to fight the culture war but is 4F.  Loopholes here the size of elephants.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!