Some other state should do.
0 (0%)
No, Take a contract out on him with the Mafia or other organised crime
1 (6.3%)
Don't know
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

mongers

Should Ukraine attempt to assassinate Validmir Putin as a way to possibly end the war or just seek justice?

Upsides, downsides to your choice?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Valmy

I think they just need to get Putin to stand near a window, that seems fatal enough in Russia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Threviel

Kill him and the war ends, so kill him if at all possible.

Jacob

Razgovory

Accidently voted "Don't know".  Should be "no".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on February 25, 2023, 11:51:56 AMKill him and the war ends, so kill him if at all possible.
If only that was so simple...

I don't think the war will end.  Someone will take his place and that someone will be faced with the same challenge: retreat, be blamed and be ousted from power and likely be killed for the failures.

The best possible scenario is to wait until the Russians themselves are fed up and someone decides to eliminate him.  But that will take time and many more loss of life. :(

Norwegian chief of defence estimates casualties at 100 000 soldiers killed and wounded for Ukraine and 180 000 for Russia, plus 30 000 civilians killed (confirmed so far).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Russo-Ukrainian_War

Having western tanks and fighter jets will be a game changer for Ukraine for sure, but the conflict will still be long and bloody.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

No, as I don't see any upside, nor would it change anything.

Anyone who'd replace him will just keep the war going.  The biggest "gain" of the formal annexation of parts of Ukraine is that any successor is inherently committed to keep trying for them in order to survive politically.  And the "how" of Putin's death can still matter.  If he dies of natural causes (possible at any time at his age), it will be an "oh well" politically...a successor is more likely to come from the establishment (such as, say someone like Gerasimov)  If he is assassinated, it only serves to provide support to the more radical of the pro-war elements...those that might think trying a nuke or two would be worthwhile. 

And...better to not rock the boat when the enemy is already working hard at losing.

mongers

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 25, 2023, 06:39:43 PMNo, as I don't see any upside, nor would it change anything.

Anyone who'd replace him will just keep the war going.  The biggest "gain" of the formal annexation of parts of Ukraine is that any successor is inherently committed to keep trying for them in order to survive politically.  And the "how" of Putin's death can still matter.  If he dies of natural causes (possible at any time at his age), it will be an "oh well" politically...a successor is more likely to come from the establishment (such as, say someone like Gerasimov)  If he is assassinated, it only serves to provide support to the more radical of the pro-war elements...those that might think trying a nuke or two would be worthwhile. 

And...better to not rock the boat when the enemy is already working hard at losing.

Agreed.  Napoleon wisely noted that one should "never interrupt an enemy while he is making a mistake."

There's no likely change in Russian leadership that would be a change for the better.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2023, 12:18:55 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 25, 2023, 06:39:43 PMNo, as I don't see any upside, nor would it change anything.

Agreed.  Napoleon wisely noted that one should "never interrupt an enemy while he is making a mistake."

There's no likely change in Russian leadership that would be a change for the better.

Agreed.  The best way for this war to end is for Putin to be removed politically by internal forces - one way or the other.  Not make a martyr out of him.  That creates the circumstances for never ending hostilities.

Barrister

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a de-facto state of war exists between Ukraine and Russia, both Putin and Zelenskyy are legitimate targets, no?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2023, 03:17:16 PMCorrect me if I'm wrong, but when a de-facto state of war exists between Ukraine and Russia, both Putin and Zelenskyy are legitimate targets, no?

But isn't that a different question from whether one should take out the opposing leader?