Most American young men are single. Most young women are not.

Started by garbon, February 23, 2023, 06:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 24, 2023, 01:48:15 PMWell, spending hours a week doing sports tends to put one into social situations which increases the chances of meeting women.  Also, engaging in physical activity also has other positive side effects that tend to be considered attractive.  :P
Also to go back to that meme - depending on the sport/team involved - it can be a healthy way of mentoring I suppose. Obviously if it's a school team less likely to be a thing - but if you join a local community cricket/rugby/football club there'll be players who are older. They might have advice on, say, speaking to girls etc.

While if you look at a video game YouTube channel and just leave it on auto-play I give it probably under 10 videos before you're getting some pretty dark, misogynist material.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2023, 01:53:05 PMAlso to go back to that meme - depending on the sport/team involved - it can be a healthy way of mentoring I suppose. Obviously if it's a school team less likely to be a thing - but if you join a local community cricket/rugby/football club there'll be players who are older. They might have advice on, say, speaking to girls etc.

Or there might also be a women's team within the same club.  :P

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 24, 2023, 01:48:15 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 24, 2023, 12:29:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 24, 2023, 12:22:44 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 24, 2023, 12:19:56 PMSo 60 percent of young men are pathetic video playing shut in? Iveb if you just take the difference that's 30 percent. You think 1/3 of young men fit this criteria? Or thr 30 percent of single women losers too?

When I was a young man I would say that there were easily 30% of my peer group who had difficult speaking to young women.  Add in the factor of a lot of young men spending a lot of time they would otherwise have spent socializing, playing video games instead, and yeah - its probably more than 30% that have trouble being social.

I recognize this will be an unpopular opinion in a group who has only video games in common.  But do you think playing video games for hours a week increases the chances of a young man to get a date or lesson that chance?

Would you replace video games with another hobby? Like say basketball practice for hours a week :P . It's not like men who would be playing games automatically transfer that time to a social activity with women present. Covid and money probably plays a much greater part in the lack of opportunity to engage with women socially.

Well, spending hours a week doing sports tends to put one into social situations which increases the chances of meeting women.  Also, engaging in physical activity also has other positive side effects that tend to be considered attractive.  :P

You can be attractive and play video games... I've been told :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

It must also be said as well that nowadays gaming is a much more social experience than in the past, what with online gaming, twitch streaming and the like, so the stereotype of the shut in teenager playing games and having no social skills whatsoever is a bit of a throwback. That gaming communities are many times cesspools of toxic masculinity is a different issue.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 24, 2023, 12:22:44 PMWhen I was a young man I would say that there were easily 30% of my peer group who had difficult speaking to young women.  Add in the factor of a lot of young men spending a lot of time they would otherwise have spent socializing, playing video games instead, and yeah - its probably more than 30% that have trouble being social.

I recognize this will be an unpopular opinion in a group who has only video games in common.  But do you think playing video games for hours a week increases the chances of a young man to get a date or lesson that chance?

It might increase the chances of them getting with young women who play videogames all the time too? Shared interests and all that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2023, 01:53:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 24, 2023, 01:48:15 PMWell, spending hours a week doing sports tends to put one into social situations which increases the chances of meeting women.  Also, engaging in physical activity also has other positive side effects that tend to be considered attractive.  :P
Also to go back to that meme - depending on the sport/team involved - it can be a healthy way of mentoring I suppose. Obviously if it's a school team less likely to be a thing - but if you join a local community cricket/rugby/football club there'll be players who are older. They might have advice on, say, speaking to girls etc.

While if you look at a video game YouTube channel and just leave it on auto-play I give it probably under 10 videos before you're getting some pretty dark, misogynist material.

Sure, but the most important aspect is the social aspect, every player on a team has their own circle of friends, which includes female friends.  There is a lot of overlap of course, but it is a good way to meet new people.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2023, 03:02:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 24, 2023, 12:22:44 PMWhen I was a young man I would say that there were easily 30% of my peer group who had difficult speaking to young women.  Add in the factor of a lot of young men spending a lot of time they would otherwise have spent socializing, playing video games instead, and yeah - its probably more than 30% that have trouble being social.

It might increase the chances of them getting with young women who play videogames all the time too? Shared interests and all that.

Maybe, but when would they actually meet.  This is probably one of those exceptions prove the rule situations.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2023, 02:34:34 PMIt must also be said as well that nowadays gaming is a much more social experience than in the past, what with online gaming, twitch streaming and the like, so the stereotype of the shut in teenager playing games and having no social skills whatsoever is a bit of a throwback. That gaming communities are many times cesspools of toxic masculinity is a different issue.

But everyone is just sitting in front of a screen.  When do they actually get out and about to meeting eachother and form personal relationships in person.  And when they do, how do their on screen personalities translate to real world social situations?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2023, 11:08:15 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2023, 11:02:58 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2023, 10:54:41 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2023, 10:52:46 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2023, 10:49:58 AMThere was a time when heterosexual women wanted to form a long-term relationship with a man with less education and earnings than herself? Certainly not a time I was dating. That was, generally, the thing you were filtered for.

There was a time when they didn't have many options to marry someone earning less then themselves unless they married an unemployed man :lol:

Right. I think it is more about their rising status than having higher standards.
Damn.  I hate it when women have high standards. :(

Do you pursue relationships with women very often?
Not really.  I'm singularly disgusting.  I'm also annoying.  And loud.  I once had a deaf person tell me to shut up.  True story.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2023, 03:21:56 PMNot really.  I'm singularly disgusting.  I'm also annoying.  And loud.  I once had a deaf person tell me to shut up.  True story.

Yeah but you are very smart and interesting to talk to. There might be a niche out there for you if you wanted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 24, 2023, 03:25:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2023, 03:21:56 PMNot really.  I'm singularly disgusting.  I'm also annoying.  And loud.  I once had a deaf person tell me to shut up.  True story.

Yeah but you are very smart and interesting to talk to. There might be a niche out there for you if you wanted.

Raz, you're often quite funny as well.