Main Menu

The Rowling vs. Trans People Hijack

Started by Josquius, February 16, 2023, 04:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2023, 06:13:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2023, 06:02:22 PM:huh:

Also why are you bringing in race?

Because a half Indian dude gets more PC legitimacy points than a totally white dude.

Seems unrelated to Jos's point.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2023, 06:02:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2023, 05:57:09 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 18, 2023, 02:08:40 PM
Quote from: Gups on February 18, 2023, 12:30:53 PMYet despite having been asked to twice, you have failed to specify the basis on which you accuse Rowling of being transphobic. Since her primary opposition is against self-ID and the protection of women's only spaces you presumably must think  that is a transphobic, far right position.

I'll ask again. What is it that Rowling has actually said that you consider makers her transphobic and far right?

The arrogance of a cis straight man telling trans women how they are supposed to feel about someone who has said stuff that offends them is beyond me.

Jos - are you not in fact a cis straight man?

This is a weird play of the identity card, I must admit.  In particular since you're playing it against Gups, a non-white cis straight man.

:huh:

Also why are you bringing in race?

Because Jos brought identity into it.

To be clear - I think one's argument should stand by itself, without any reference to the ID of the person making it.  But Jos is the one who suddenly brought ID into the equation.

For the record - I am a white, cis, het, male, and acknowledge all the privilege that comes with that status.   

Although weirdly and for whatever little it is worth - I am also an ethnic Ukrainian.  Which for my entire life I never thought of as being an oppressed identity until the last 12 months.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2023, 06:21:09 PMSeems unrelated to Jos's point.

Only if you think race and gender identity are totally unrelated, which is not correct. 

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2023, 06:22:59 PMBecause Jos brought identity into it.

To be clear - I think one's argument should stand by itself, without any reference to the ID of the person making it.  But Jos is the one who suddenly brought ID into the equation.

For the record - I am a white, cis, het, male, and acknowledge all the privilege that comes with that status.   

Although weirdly and for whatever little it is worth - I am also an ethnic Ukrainian.  Which for my entire life I never thought of as being an oppressed identity until the last 12 months.

Au contraire, Jos just copied the format that Gups introduced.

Quote from: Gups on February 17, 2023, 02:59:38 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 17, 2023, 02:06:44 PMBut if it is not a simple matter, why is it ok to so quickly brand people on the other side of arguments into the details of it "hate groups" and such?

Exactly. You can't have a reasonable discussion with people like Jos. You disagree and you are transphobic, part of the hard right, a member of a hate group.

The arrogance of a man telling abused women how they are supposed to feel about safe spaces is beyond me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2023, 06:29:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2023, 06:21:09 PMSeems unrelated to Jos's point.

Only if you think race and gender identity are totally unrelated, which is not correct. 

I'm not sure being non-white introduces a more 'privileged' lens into the matter.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2023, 06:34:56 PMI'm not sure being non-white introduces a more 'privileged' lens into the matter.

Being a member of an oppressed group gives one standing in the PC world.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2023, 06:41:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2023, 06:34:56 PMI'm not sure being non-white introduces a more 'privileged' lens into the matter.

Being a member of an oppressed group gives one standing in the PC world.

What is the PC world? This?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2023, 06:44:52 PMWhat is the PC world? This?

People who buy into the central tenets of political correctness.

DGuller

Nothing promotes inclusion more than "you're a cis male, you need to STFU".

Habbaku

Really wish y'all would realize it's just "Rowling". I give a pass to the eggplant, but come on.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2023, 07:07:21 PMNothing promotes inclusion more than "you're a cis male, you need to STFU".

So you ignore Gups's formulation of "you're a man, you need to STFU"?

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2023, 06:22:59 PM....

That explains why the Russian invasion of Ukraine as been so piss poor, if they've been staging it via having invaded Canada.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2023, 07:13:44 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2023, 07:07:21 PMNothing promotes inclusion more than "you're a cis male, you need to STFU".

I didn't ignore it, I just didn't see it.

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on February 18, 2023, 07:48:00 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2023, 06:22:59 PM....

That explains why the Russian invasion of Ukraine as been so piss poor, if they've been staging it via having invaded Canada.

:huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2023, 07:13:44 PM

Not my formulation.

There's a big difference between (a) telling abused women that they should accept a change in law allowing self ID trans women entry into refuges because it is irrational for them to feel unsafe and (b) denying trans people unchallengeable jurisdiction over the definition of the word "transphobic", especially since the latter can be a criminal offence.