Main Menu

The Rowling vs. Trans People Hijack

Started by Josquius, February 16, 2023, 04:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 16, 2023, 03:02:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2023, 02:55:56 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 16, 2023, 02:50:28 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 16, 2023, 04:42:29 AMTrans women are women.

If they were women they wouldn't be trans.
At most they're men that have been surgically altered to look like women, but biologically (and at the end of the day it's the only thing that matters) they're still men. All the rest is technology and society being nice (which is proper).

Trans women are not women.

Neither are transwomen "biologically male".

Trans women are trans women - their own beautiful and unique category.

That would society being courteous, which I can certainly accept.

In reality however, there's only XX and XY (and then some combinations due to construction that confirm the rule). Biology, remember.

But sure, as their own category, I've got no beef. (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder however.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on February 16, 2023, 01:10:49 PMRowling isnt the worst of the bunch. Her role is more in being a rich and famous supporter of the biggest scum.
She does seem to be degrading and getting worse year by year however.

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/02/10/what-has-jk-rowling-said-about-transgender-people/

After reading your link I still don't see what fundamental trans rights Rowlings wants to roll back.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 16, 2023, 03:02:38 PMThat's society being courteous, which I can certainly accept.

In reality however, there's only XX and XY (and then some combinations due to construction that confirm the rule). Biology, remember.

But sure, as their own category, I've got no beef. (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder however.)

Well sure. It is semantics after all.

Just we have always had trans people and maybe we should acknowledge we have, and continue, to treat them horribly for no rational reason at all. So we should do better and treat them like human beings. However specifically what that looks like doesn't really concern me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on February 16, 2023, 02:58:20 PMNot according to the trans dogma that Rowling blasphemed against.

Frankly, like most issues, I don't really understand what her views are. She talks like all men, or XY people or whatever, are inherently dangerous and sexually predatory and therefore need to be kept away from women's bathrooms or shelters lest we rape and attack. But...come on. That seems to be a very specific kind of person who is law abiding enough to stay out of designated areas but law breaking enough to commit violent crimes. Especially these sorts of public places. Besides if you look enough like a woman I am pretty sure you could always pass enough to get into a woman's shelter or bathroom. It's not like they are out there with DNA tests or something or asking you for your gender identity. It has always been an honor system. Just specifically excluding trans people isn't going to stop this very specific and unlikely scenario from playing out.

But then she also says she is fine with and has no fear of trans people. I don't know man. It seems like she has a very specific phobia or some kind of identity thing playing out.

At least the people who were against trans athletes kind of had a point, but I have to say I haven't really seen things play out where elite women's athletics are being dominated by trans-women. Little surprised frankly as I thought insanely competitive athletes would do anything to get an edge but I guess there are some lines even they won't cross.

But as far as going against the "dogma" and all, that's not a "trans" dogma that is twitter shit. That is just how that platform operates. You don't want to put up with puritanical bores, then don't spend all your time where they thrive and multiply. I am pretty sure actual real life trans people have a great deal of differing opinions on matters despite your smear of there being a "dogma".
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

chipwich

You're the one smearing. The JK Rowling hate is well past Twitter, it has been across the media for years.

Sheilbh

Sure, but while it's true not all men are inherently dangerous or predatory - but it's also true that as a group the vast majority of very dangerous people or sexual predators are men. There's a reason women often cross the road if there's some unknown guy walking behind them.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

I have to admit I find this very confusing. 

Isn't her point merely that it should still be OK to call a woman a woman.

Admiral Yi

Yeah Valmy, that 100% of men are rapists thing is a total straw man.  And it applies even less in shelters where the occupants are by definition traumatized and have had a negative experience with a man.

FYI Squeeze, high school sports in the US doesn't have a governing body.  So somebody else has to make the call: school adminstrators, school boards, or "the anti-woke mob" politicians.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2023, 05:38:46 PMFYI Squeeze, high school sports in the US doesn't have a governing body.  So somebody else has to make the call: school adminstrators, school boards, or "the anti-woke mob" politicians.
What about the sports themselves?

For example here the FA governs football from grassroots and schools to the Premier League, same with other governing bodies. Is there not a body that sets the rules for, say, baseball?
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on February 16, 2023, 05:11:38 PMYou're the one smearing. The JK Rowling hate is well past Twitter, it has been across the media for years.

Nonsense. People still love her and buy her stuff and the Harry Potter stuff and this game is selling fine. If the media hated her this game would never have been made.

And yeah sure it's not just twitter. Plenty of media just looks at twitter and comments on it. But it's all part of the ecosystem.

Anyway that's my opinion. Rowling shouldn't be on twitter...but granted that's my advice to everyone. And I don't see how holding that opinion is a smear of anything but twitter. But maybe you can enlighten me as to who I am smearing.

But enough of your whataboutism. You just turning it around and saying "no you" and not addressing my point is pretty lame.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2023, 05:44:03 PMWhat about the sports themselves?

For example here the FA governs football from grassroots and schools to the Premier League, same with other governing bodies. Is there not a body that sets the rules for, say, baseball?

Extrapolating a bit, I think no.  For example college football and basketball have longer play clocks than pro.  College baseball allows aluminum bats.

I remember for one season back in the glory days of Big East basketball the conference experimented with six fouls per player (as opposed to the standard five).  This was to allow the gangsters at Georgetown to beat up other teams to increase fan engagement.

The one exception I can think of is golf, where the USGA and their buddies at Royal and Ancient set the rules for golf everywhere.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2023, 05:54:23 PMThe one exception I can think of is golf, where the USGA and their buddies at Royal and Ancient set the rules for golf everywhere.

Takes backs.  The Saudis allow short pants.

chipwich

Quote from: Valmy on February 16, 2023, 05:50:06 PMIf the media hated her this game would never have been made.

Prove it. The media hates the game and it still sells well.

PDH

The media or some of the media hate this?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM