News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Super Bowl XXXDDD

Started by FunkMonk, February 12, 2023, 09:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 12, 2023, 09:57:20 PMThe game itself is pretty good. Football is fun. I just hate the NFL  :D

The trick is to DVR, time it so you can click through all the crap you don't want to see and end up live near the end of the game.

Much more enjoyable

Jacob

I don't watch American football, but I'd think another trick would be to mute the commercials and have conversations (or surf the net or whatever) during the various breaks.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 13, 2023, 03:15:58 AMAmerican Football would be a lot more fun to watch if a 1 hour game wasn't stretched into 3 hours with tons of downtime/ad breaks.

Disagree man. It would make absolutely no sense if the clock just kept running  :lol:

The ad breaks do suck but all sports here have them. When you are at the game everybody just sort of stands around (well the cheerleaders dance and the and band plays and all that) waiting for the TV guy to give the thumbsup.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on February 13, 2023, 10:40:37 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 13, 2023, 03:15:58 AMAmerican Football would be a lot more fun to watch if a 1 hour game wasn't stretched into 3 hours with tons of downtime/ad breaks.

The Big 10 Network (and I'm sure others) will show replay of games with just the time with the play clock running.  It's unwatchable like that; football is a game of position the set ups and the penalties are needed in order to understand what's going on (and, as Yi says, the analysis and replays also do I good job of providing context.)  The commercials are too much, especially in big games like this (and even more so, for the Superbowl, if you don't get the US commercials,) but that could be said for all major American sports.

Let me rephrase: "... if a large chunk of the run time wasn't commercial breaks." :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on February 13, 2023, 12:46:47 PMLet me rephrase: "... if a large chunk of the run time wasn't commercial breaks." :P

Heh, well I can't disagree with that.  I don't watch a lot of sports, but when I do I usually use the CC method, start late and use the DVR to forward through commercials.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

The streaming service I use  :ph34r: doesn't/can't show commercials, so the screen goes blank and silent when the commercial break starts.  I use that time to get in three or so turns of War in the Pacific and shift back to the stream tab when the sound comes back.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I didn't notice many commercials.  Except that they were putting clams in M&Ms.  I think I'll skip that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Wait, do the folks in Europe not see all the commercials during the Super Bowl? What do you do with all that free time ? :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 14, 2023, 07:54:00 AMWait, do the folks in Europe not see all the commercials during the Super Bowl? What do you do with all that free time ? :D

Sleeping?  :P

I mean, the Super Bowl takes place at ungodly hours for an European audience, I'm not really sure how many people do watch it at this side of the pond.

Grey Fox

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 14, 2023, 07:54:00 AMWait, do the folks in Europe not see all the commercials during the Super Bowl? What do you do with all that free time ? :D

The commercials are for the US audience. Even Canada doesn't get them.

I watched most of the Super Bowl in French. Historically, they have less ad time to sell than the US broadcast they are dubbing over so there is a little more statistical analysis.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

When there was still ESPN Europe broadcasting NFL, they'd have a loop of station promos and ads for their programs running. It got pretty grating. No idea what's happening now.

MLB.tv just goes to the MLB logo during ad breaks when watching their streams.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

I can't process the Super Bowl without the ads. The ads are basically the point of the whole production  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on February 14, 2023, 08:00:57 AM

Sleeping?  :P

I mean, the Super Bowl takes place at ungodly hours for an European audience, I'm not really sure how many people do watch it at this side of the pond.

I would take a rough unscientific arbitrary stab that in a given year 1 in 20 men aged 18-40 try to watch it and 1 in 8 of those succeed.

There always seems to be one guy everywhere I've worked.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 14, 2023, 10:32:56 AMI can't process the Super Bowl without the ads. The ads are basically the point of the whole production  :D

I've seen it without (when I was in Colombia); it's definitely not the same experience.  (It also brings home how long the commercial breaks are for the Superbowl.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 14, 2023, 10:32:56 AMI can't process the Super Bowl without the ads. The ads are basically the point of the whole production  :D

I mean I guess technically the ads are the point of everything that appears on TV. That and cable and/or streaming fees.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."