6 (54.5%)
No!
3 (27.3%)
Wha?
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2023, 01:13:37 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2023, 01:11:59 PMThe Cathar are a species of cat people in Star Wars, so: no. They're fictional.

:nerd: :P

Are you sure you're not confusing them with the Caitians, the Star Trek cat people?

Yes: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cathar

And if you played KotOR, you might remember Juhani, a Cathar: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Juhani
(They were also available as player species in SWTOR.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2023, 03:33:58 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2023, 01:11:59 PMThe Cathar are a species of cat people in Star Wars, so: no. They're fictional.

Are you sure you're not confusing them with the Caitians, the Star Trek cat people?

And if you played KotOR, you might remember Juhani, a Cathar: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Juhani

I should have put a smilie - I was trying to make a joke about how "cat-people" are such a common sci-fi trope.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Traveller Aslan frown on your shenanigans.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2023, 03:37:58 PM

I should have put a smilie - I was trying to make a joke about how "cat-people" are such a common sci-fi trope.

:blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on February 10, 2023, 03:42:35 PMTraveller Aslan frown on your shenanigans.

Traveller :wub:

But of course Traveller had not only the cat-like Aslan, but the Vargr who were literally genetically engineered dogs. :rolleyes:

I still think they made up for it by having the truly alien Hivers.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

I'm familiar with the theory from Mark Gregory Pegg's book.  The outlines have been addressed in other posts above including sheilbh and PDH.  That Occitanian Christianity was just one of many manifestations of regional Christianities with their own little quirks and regional traditions.  Encountering these unfamiliar though harmless practices, university educated churchmen from the outside used wildly anachronistic terminology and heresiological frameworks from reading late classical and early medieval authors.  Overlay that with the complex political and social interaction between the expanding Capetian state and the unruly south that provided a motivation for "finding" an hidden nest of ancient heresy..
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2023, 04:33:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2023, 03:37:58 PM

:blush:

The best cat-aliens are, of course, the Kilrathi.

Legbiter

Tom Holland argued quite persuasively in his last book that the Cathars as a deep and ancient heresy did not exist, instead they were deplorable gammons who didn't get with the revolutionary change sweeping Rome. Add local political rivalries and the promise of loot (Russian soldiers and washing machines inevitably springs to mind) and voila, that's the Albigensian Crusade. :hmm: 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2023, 10:48:09 PMThe best cat-aliens are, of course, the Kilrathi.
Not the movie version, though. :yucky:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Legbiter on February 11, 2023, 12:24:14 AMTom Holland argued quite persuasively in his last book that the Cathars as a deep and ancient heresy did not exist, instead they were deplorable gammons who didn't get with the revolutionary change sweeping Rome. Add local political rivalries and the promise of loot (Russian soldiers and washing machines inevitably springs to mind) and voila, that's the Albigensian Crusade. :hmm: 
What the fuck would a Spiderman actor know about the subject?  :wacko:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2023, 07:30:48 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on February 11, 2023, 12:24:14 AMTom Holland argued quite persuasively in his last book that the Cathars as a deep and ancient heresy did not exist, instead they were deplorable gammons who didn't get with the revolutionary change sweeping Rome. Add local political rivalries and the promise of loot (Russian soldiers and washing machines inevitably springs to mind) and voila, that's the Albigensian Crusade. :hmm: 
What the fuck would a Spiderman actor know about the subject?  :wacko:

I also think I'd taken theorizing with a grain of salt from that author.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 10, 2023, 04:51:13 PMI'm familiar with the theory from Mark Gregory Pegg's book.  The outlines have been addressed in other posts above including sheilbh and PDH.  That Occitanian Christianity was just one of many manifestations of regional Christianities with their own little quirks and regional traditions.  Encountering these unfamiliar though harmless practices, university educated churchmen from the outside used wildly anachronistic terminology and heresiological frameworks from reading late classical and early medieval authors.  Overlay that with the complex political and social interaction between the expanding Capetian state and the unruly south that provided a motivation for "finding" an hidden nest of ancient heresy..

What did you think of the book?
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Quote from: Syt on February 12, 2023, 10:36:19 AMDifferent Tom Holland. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Holland_(author)

Despite my poorly constructed sentence, I was trying to refer to the author not the actor. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 12, 2023, 10:42:45 AMWhat did you think of the book?

It's been a while.  What I recall is that he used a lot of direct quotations to give a sense of narrative drive.  It made the book more readable, but I kept thinking about the selection and reliability of sources.  The books addressed that in part, especially with regard to the inquisitorial records, but not entirely. 

It was interesting to read because I had approached the book with the vague prior understanding of unreconstructed gnostics scattered about the Occitan countryside and Pegg made the forceful case against that understanding.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson