Two powerful Earthquakes lay waste to Turkey & Syria

Started by jimmy olsen, February 06, 2023, 05:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on February 08, 2023, 12:06:43 PMThis map is strange. Missing a lot of data in Syria but still marks a quake there . Quite misleading.

You're a seismologist  now as well? :D

Only going on what I've heard on the radio, in this case it's a bit misleading to talk of a single epicentre for each quake, as the first one was a lot of earthquakes going off at the same time along a proportion of the main fault, hence the damage extending over 200km. No idea if that contradicts you theory, but perhaps it's just showing the major points of activity at the time of the first quake?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I don't know much about seismology but what I do know is that earthquakes tend not to pay attention to national borders :p

Plus a lot in the news of significant quakes in Syria.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Remember that the Richter scale is a logarithmic scale.  So a magnitude 4 quake is one one thousandth of a magnitude 7 quake.  So showing all the little aftershocks makes it looks much worse than it was (not that it wasn't bad).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2023, 04:38:10 PMRemember that the Richter scale is a logarithmic scale.  So a magnitude 4 quake is one one thousandth of a magnitude 7 quake.  So showing all the little aftershocks makes it looks much worse than it was (not that it wasn't bad).

Isn't that outdated now?

Found this interesting, seems to be on the initial quake and movement:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2023, 10:36:52 PMThey say the whole Anatolian plate moved 3 meters!

What it has done is create a zone of damage 500km long; rescue teams and equipment in numbers are reaching the big cities, but most of the towns and villages appear to be fending for themselves.

This twin earthquake will end up killing several tens of thousands of people, the UN suggests that "upto 50% of the area's housing maybe destroyed or unusable; so millions left homeless in winter.

Syt

ANd that in an area already devastated by years of war. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Death count in Turkey and Syria is over 35,000 and 5,900 respectively, with recovery efforts still ongoing and many bodies still suspected in the rubble.

Turkey introduced stricter building codes after the 1999 earthquake but it seems they were largely ignored by parasitic enterprising real estate sharks enterpreneurs and not strongly enforced by authorities.  <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

35,000? Jesus. I can't even imagine that. Those poor people.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2023, 04:30:35 AM35,000? Jesus. I can't even imagine that. Those poor people.

It's being suggested it could eventually double that death toll.

I guess one of the reasons for all of the miraculous survival stories is, if you bury enough people in rubble, tens of thousands of them, then we're bound to see some remarkable late rescues, if the resources are deployed.