News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eurovision 2023 - Liverpool

Started by celedhring, February 05, 2023, 11:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on May 15, 2023, 03:14:35 AMI know Loreen was the far and away favorite, but it is such a generic Eurovision song.

I voted Finland, but I thought this year's lineup was the weakest in a while. Lots of generic Eurovision songs and even the madness bits felt a bit derivative.
I love Loreen because Euphoria, but yes. I think it's really telling that this is the first winner to not get 12 points from the public vote in any country.

I also think there's a growing split between jury and public. I. The first six years after this system was introduced they only disagreed once, in the last eight they've never agreed. I wonder if the juries need their criteria shifting because they basically seem to prefer classic pop songs and ballads, while the public are more open minded (and maybe influenced by staging?)
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Can't help but wonder do whether the jury's naff taste is a big part of the UK usually (how Sam Ryder managed I don't know) being crap.
That this year's UK song was one of the best we've had in 10 years and still sucked....
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

No it's because the UK has a history of sending absolute dross based on an incredibly patronising attitude towards Europeans/Eurovision voters :P

Having said that, I get that going last is always tough (hosts tend to do quite badly in Eurovision) but I also think while it was a good song and I like Mae Muller, she's not the world's strongest vocalist and I think the staging was strange. And I think vocals are the one thing that will absolutely catch you out in Eurovision. Unless you're doing something totally different like Finland, you need to be a bit of a belter and Mae Muller isn't, it's not her style.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

The UK song was the only very clearly autotune one. Yuck.

Sheilbh

Autotune is not allowed at Eurovision (I love Eurovision's really weird rules on what is/isn't allowed/pre-recorded etc). We famously proved this in our catastrophic 2003 entry:

Nul points, you'll be surprised to hear - with people suggesting it was because of Iraq :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 15, 2023, 07:46:37 AMAutotune is not allowed at Eurovision (I love Eurovision's really weird rules on what is/isn't allowed/pre-recorded etc). We famously proved this in our catastrophic 2003 entry:

Nul points, you'll be surprised to hear - with people suggesting it was because of Iraq :lol:

Didn't Iceland with the guys from the last 2 years  rely heavily on this? Albeit stylistically. Exceptions made there?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Autotune is banned at Eurovision - but pressure growing to allow it as it's becoming more common in national qualifying competitions.

The main singer has to sing live. Singers are not allowed to mime either so if you can have recorded backing vocals but, no backing singer miming (so just use dancers) or you can have live backing singers. You're allowed some enhancements/distortion but not autotune - arguably a fine line. But all music stuff is mimed - all instruments are pre-recorded because logistically it's a nightmare to change over.

I think Iceland was distortion?

Edit: I think it's why as well as the jury/public split I think there's sometimes a split between things that go down really well in the room/auditorium but don't hit home as well through TV.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on May 15, 2023, 07:43:17 AMThe UK song was the only very clearly autotune one. Yuck.

Poland entry didn't even sing. Track all the way down.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

I should probably post this in the old geezer thread but I hate autotune. It was a genius move from whoever managed to make it cool. I suspect even people with good voices end up using it, allowing record labels to sell people who can't sing but otherwise deemed worthy.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 15, 2023, 07:31:16 AMNo it's because the UK has a history of sending absolute dross based on an incredibly patronising attitude towards Europeans/Eurovision voters :P

Having said that, I get that going last is always tough (hosts tend to do quite badly in Eurovision) but I also think while it was a good song and I like Mae Muller, she's not the world's strongest vocalist and I think the staging was strange. And I think vocals are the one thing that will absolutely catch you out in Eurovision. Unless you're doing something totally different like Finland, you need to be a bit of a belter and Mae Muller isn't, it's not her style.

Mae Muller was lost under her music. She should have had more spectacle if her vocals were going to be so weak.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.