News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eurovision 2023 - Liverpool

Started by celedhring, February 05, 2023, 11:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Separately in-between bits look like they'll be great - they're really beautifully staged. From the first semi-final they had this song which had the Ukrainian host visibly emotional (I believe Alyosha has actually had to leave Ukraine):

And then on the second semi-final this celebration of Ukraine - from what I understand there's obviously the Holodomor at the start, I believe the rap is of a Shevchenko poem and then finally the Carol of the Bells (although better known in the UK as "the Home Alone song" :lol:):

But, as I say, I think the staging is superb for both of these so looking forward to the grand final (and it feels about as political as the EBU will get).
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Going to a Eurovision party and pulled Finland out of a hat - which is great. But my attempted cinnamon rolls :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Spain with a nice palate cleanser.  :)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Not sure what to make with Moldova. A dwarf dancing around with a flute then battling the singer.... Is this still OK in 2023?

Finland still takes it for me.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Sweden with a solid win.

Oh and Russia is just that petty. :glare:

QuoteThe home city of Ukraine's Eurovision act was hit by Russian missiles moments before the band took to the stage in Liverpool, reports say.

Josquius

It's weird.
As I understand it the jury vote was invented to reward merit over typical political voting patterns.
Though there were some very political votes from the jury.
And of course the people got it right. Finland had the best eurovision song.
Swedens song... It just felt like cheating. A big star with a standard pop song. One who won eurovision already. It wasn't very eurovisionny.
Would be nice if they'd at least reward 2 other trophies for winner of the jury and people's votes.

Also I noticed in the jury votes a stark split between countries that get eurovision and those that take it seriously.

Also I feel sad for austria
Their song was good
I think going first killed them.

And Germany. Oh dear. They were OK I thought but it did seem a bit lordi wannabe.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Is there any background to, as Graham Norton put it, Iceland sending "the slowest stripper in the world" to give their score? :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Member of a novelty act we sent a few years ago.  ^_^

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

That's it, no longer accepting Sweden into NATO. :P

Admiral Yi

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

This is the time of year when I'm most ashamed of my country. Lots of people take this shit seriously. Like seriously, dominating news for 6 weeks for the national competition and 2 weeks for the international one. Dominating radio music for months.

A large plurality of all adults actually thinks this is good, like as if it is relevant in any way.

:yuk:

Admiral Yi

@Syt:

His guests tell bad jokes and lame stories then all of them and the audience laugh violently.  It's Lettereman on meth.  Or Bill Maher on coke.

Josquius

He's definitely lost his edge with age. On channel 4 his show was great. Mandatory viewing.
 Early days on the BBC it became more family friendly but was still good.
Lately I never bother.

On eurovision too his commentary was less biting than I remember. He's never been terry wogan but did used to have some good lines.

Apparently next year is the 50th anniversary of ABBA or something so Sweden REALLY wanted to host <_<
██████
██████
██████