News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eurovision 2023 - Liverpool

Started by celedhring, February 05, 2023, 11:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on May 09, 2023, 04:21:53 AMScousers say mum?
Fecking midlanders.

They usually say mom in the Midlands, at least the western parts

HVC

Europe has a lot of musical talent... it's just a shame that none of it is ever showcased on Eurovision.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2023, 12:23:33 PMEurope has a lot of musical talent... it's just a shame that it was only showcased on Eurovision until the late 80's/early '90s.

Fixed!  :D

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2023, 12:23:33 PMEurope has a lot of musical talent... it's just a shame that none of it is ever showcased on Eurovision.

This talent doesn't manifest in pop music.  A barren wasteland for the most part.

Grey Fox

Only catching up now.

I already loved Hannah but that french accent. :wub:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2023, 10:18:18 AMThis talent doesn't manifest in pop music.  A barren wasteland for the most part.

I disagree. It's just that the real talent in Euro pop music tends to express itself in ways that are culture and language specific and so less accessible to people who are not enmeshed in that culture and language.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 10, 2023, 01:39:13 PMI disagree. It's just that the real talent in Euro pop music tends to express itself in ways that are culture and language specific and so less accessible to people who are not enmeshed in that culture and language.

Would you care to give a specific example?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2023, 04:40:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 10, 2023, 01:39:13 PMI disagree. It's just that the real talent in Euro pop music tends to express itself in ways that are culture and language specific and so less accessible to people who are not enmeshed in that culture and language.

Would you care to give a specific example?

Sure... it's going to be a bit dated because I'm not in Europe anymore so it's about a generation out of date, but thinking of people like Kim Larsen, Anne Linnet, and Sebastian from Denmark; Björn Afzelius from Sweden. Excellent pop artists but with limited resonance outside of Scandinavia.

Admiral Yi

Wasn't nuts about the synth pop lady, but the 1st and 3rd dudes were Ok, and on that basis I will retract.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2023, 06:38:01 PMWasn't nuts about the synth pop lady, but the 1st and 3rd dudes were Ok, and on that basis I will retract.

:hug:

Josquius

A few years back Norway had Ida Maria competing to represent them. A genuinely very good indie-known musician. She didn't qualify. <_<

Then there was Public Image Ltd being rejected by Ireland.

Makes me wonder what other genuinely awesome stars have been rejected
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Completely unplanned I caught the end of both semis.

Austrias track seems quite good.

The 60s guys possibly ok too.

But my gosh so much generic tat.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Worse crop that I've seen so far.

Austria and Norway on top.

A distinct lack of stripper song this year. I find that surprising. Is it a cycle?

Admiral Yi

Do you mean songs performed by strippers, or songs to play while one is stripping?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2023, 09:55:57 AMDo you mean songs performed by strippers, or songs to play while one is stripping?

Yeah. Songs written to be performed by strippers both by the Eurovision performer and in strip clubs.