News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can a person in prison consent?

Started by Razgovory, February 03, 2023, 09:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Can a prisoner consent to anything?  Obviously inspired by the organ transplant thing.  I thought the broader question of consent is interesting.  If they can't consent that sort of screws up things like pleas while awaiting trial in jail.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

chipwich

Yes but as part of their punishment and inferior station they should be denied access to sex.

Barrister

Forgive me, but this is a far deeper question than you might realize.

Can someone who is in prison plead guilty?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2023, 01:33:45 AMForgive me, but this is a far deeper question than you might realize.

Maybe we should ask a lawyer?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2023, 09:17:43 PMCan a prisoner consent to anything?
To anything?  No.
To some things?  Yes.

A prisoner could willingly give an organ.  But offering a reward is wrong, imho.

If he was not a prisoner and he was offered 30 000$ of his kidney, would that be a legal transaction?  I don't think so.  It's the same principle here.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

A while back I read an article about the pay for blood/plasma industry.  IIRC the US supplies a staggering amount of the world's plasma or blood, can't remember if it's both or just plasma.  That's because the US is one of the few countries in the world that allows payment to donors.

Syt

Depending on where you go you get money for donations here. I used to get EUR 20 when donating blood at the hospital back home, and I think the plasma banks here pay EUR 30. Officially they can't pay you for donating, so it's officially a reimbursement for time spent. :D

EDIT: just checked, for every fifth plasma donation you get EUR 45 extra now. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2023, 01:33:45 AMForgive me, but this is a far deeper question than you might realize.
I'd add I'm not sure that there's a single consent. Consent in all cases might have similar characteristics but the weight and context is really important. Consent for a medical procedure or participating in medical research, for example, is clearly different than consent to your next door neighbour borrowing a cup of sugar even if both ultimately rely on someone consenting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

That was my point!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2023, 04:59:38 PM
I'd add I'm not sure that there's a single consent. Consent in all cases might have similar characteristics but the weight and context is really important. Consent for a medical procedure or participating in medical research, for example, is clearly different than consent to your next door neighbour borrowing a cup of sugar even if both ultimately rely on someone consenting.

Yeah, the issue of consent is complex and the analysis is highly context dependent.  Just because they can give their lawyer instructions to take certain positions in their criminal proceedings, does not mean they can give meaningful consent in other contexts, for other things.

For example, Yi's simplistic analysis would mean that an inmate can consent to be the Warden's sexual toy in return for a reduced sentence.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2023, 04:12:14 PMA while back I read an article about the pay for blood/plasma industry.  IIRC the US supplies a staggering amount of the world's plasma or blood, can't remember if it's both or just plasma.  That's because the US is one of the few countries in the world that allows payment to donors.

Yeah man. There are loads of lower income people who make regular donations. I used to know many of them when I was younger, when most all of us were low income.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."